Shaw Xtreme question

Started by Ustauk, March 21, 2005, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

I was calling Telus about cancelling my internet connection with them when I move.  The fellow said he'd be willing to give me the 2.5 mbps connection for $35, the price I pay now.  So my question is, how fast is the Shaw Xtreme residential package in comparison, and how much is it a month?  Also I just wanted to double check, you get your own pipe with it, like with ADSL, right?

Melbosa

5mps throughput down, about 1mps up, and about the same price +$10 more for the extreme.  Service I find is better with Shaw than Telus, but that is my opinion.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Shaw High-speed is 3Mbits down and ?? Up.

Extreme is $10 on top of any Shaw High-speed package and it is an almost guaranteed 5Mbits down and 1Mbits up.

From what I have seen it runs circles around Telus as far as reliable speeds.

Shayne

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/...ghSpeedXtremeI/

for those who want the real numbers.

I pay $75.00 a month.  Business I-eXtreme account, with basic cable (SOHO on the website).  Love the service, will never switch.

Ustauk

One more question: does it look like Shaw's going to start to throttle peer to peer traffic?  I read something about them getting a fancy router in Vancouver that sniffed out peer to peer traffic packets and slowed them down.

EDIT: Here's a link http://www.filesharingplace.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3582

Drunkener

What I find more important than how much throughput you physically get on your end, is how much throughput you can get on their end.  Shaw's network is severely understressed (I would imagine having to keep a large share open for VOIP) and this means you can pretty much get the most out of your connection, only limitted by the sources you download from.

For example, I used to have the 7mbit plan from OA Group (went through Telus) and while I found that yes in theory I could get a full 7mbits, it was only from a few select web sites (such as Microsoft or Tucows), but everything seemed to be maybe a couple hundred kilobytes/sec tops.  Then I switched to Shaw's SOHO (before docsis) and I was getting about the same performance, while considerably cheaper and more stable.

Then I switched to docsis on Shaw and everything was faster, my ping times dropped by 15-60ms, and I almost always max out my connection (5mbits) downloading from most sites.
Greatest Ebay feedback ever: BOUGTH IT FOR MY COUSIN WHO HAD CANCER, ITEM NEVER ARRIVED AND MY COUSIN DIED