Movies - What makes a good one?

Started by Bixby, January 25, 2008, 06:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

Two Words: Dungeons & Dragons

Do you know what two words you will never hear with those two words?
Oscar & Academy. :D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Bixby on January 25, 2008, 06:53:02 AM
Two Words: Dungeons & Dragons

Do you know what two words you will never hear with those two words?
Oscar & Academy. :D

Oh heavens, what will the Academy think of my B movie collection?

I would watch "Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Jason and the Argonauts" over "Dances With Wolves" and "Brokeback Mountain"...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hehe I'm right there with you Mr. A.  I have some of my own "B" movies I wouldn't trade for any huge blockbuster.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2008, 08:59:17 AM
Hehe I'm right there with you Mr. A.  I have some of my own "B" movies I wouldn't trade for any huge blockbuster.

Or something artistic but void of storytelling...

I mean, it's not like I don't enjoy a lot of quality films, sometimes though it's good to sit down and watch something like Ice Pirates.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Don't get me wrong, I like good ol' fromage movies myself. I have never seen "On Golden Pond" and do not intend to.

I do, kind of, like to, sort of watch movies that have a decent plot, a reasonable adherence to physics, and a modicum of acting talent though.  ;D

Melbosa

Well I think you are lost on any fantasy movie providing adherence to physics, :D, but I get where you are coming from.  Then again some movies just have that appeal for fans, cult classics or just a movie that fills the time well "once".

Army of Darkness is a prime example, and I am so happy that someone introduced me to the movie way, way, way back!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Bixby on January 25, 2008, 09:08:23 AM
I do, kind of, like to, sort of watch movies that have a decent plot, a reasonable adherence to physics, and a modicum of acting talent though.  ;D

Believe it or not, "Cloverfield" fits the bill. AMAZING movie, lives up to the teaser-hype; if you are in the right mood you quickly get immersed in the situation and feel like you're along for the ride...

Oh, and by acting talent, are you implying character development convincingly portrayed? Or just good actors (even in poorly developed roles ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Bixby

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 25, 2008, 09:40:29 AM
Oh, and by acting talent, are you implying character development convincingly portrayed? Or just good actors (even in poorly developed roles ;) )

A bit of both. Some character roles are poorly defined or so stereotypically defined that the best actor/actress in the world could not perform well in the role. Sometimes, there are decent roles that could be better acted and they come across in a very jilted manner. Only thing which would be worse is if they were holding their script sheets on film.

I do not want to come across as a film snob, far from it. I just have become very miserly with my time and want to be entertained and stimulated for the 1.5-2 hours I am giving up when I watch a movie. Otherwise, I would much rather play a game or do something else that is more engaging.

Here is a site that a friend of mine reads. He is always going on about Movie Physics. Some of you may get a kick out of it.
http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Cheers,
Matt

Mr. Analog

Physics in movies is such a difficult topic to broach. On one hand you want to be artistic but for some topics you want to be realistic.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Transporter = exaggerated but entertaining physics
Transporter 2 = WTF, who the hell can watch this without laughing

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 25, 2008, 01:30:14 PM

Great example there.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 25, 2008, 01:30:14 PM

Great example there.

bad physics + absent storyline = bad movie
bad physics + entertaining story/characters = acceptable compromise ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

LOL I think this is all subjective to the viewer?  I absolutely hated Eye Wide Shut, but the guy next to me loved it.

So what I am getting at is some people love the cheeziness, the bad puns, etc of some movies, where they can't stand them in others.

I just don't think there is an "Everyone will love this movie" out there.  But I do think the possibility for the "Everyone will not like this movie"... Uwe Boll anyone?

Mr. Analog

Well, the conversation sparked on the idea that movies of recognized quality are "better" entertainment (I mean, I know it was a joke, but that's what I got out of it).

Heck, I wanna dig out "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" now!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Hehe, I know, just wanted to see if I could put a kink in the thread, to try and boost some more thought ;)