Barack Obama rejects Keystone XL pipeline

Started by Mr. Analog, November 06, 2015, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on November 09, 2015, 12:36:20 PM
Here's how I think the switch from Harper to Trudeau will affect our little community:

Darren, Melbosa, Mr. Analog: end up paying a little less in taxes (twenty bucks per paycheque, maybe?)
Thorin: about even in taxes
Lazybones: a little less in taxes (mostly by getting more child benefits)
Tom: much better support when not working

all: more responsive healthcare, better infrastructure, same level of federal debt, less advanced military

Be wary of companies that claim an increase in the corporate tax rate suddenly cause them to suddenly post losses of hundreds of millions of dollars.  Corporations only get taxed on profits (revenue minus expenses, although there's a lot of arguing about what expenses can be included).  So if they made no profits, they'd pay no tax.  The reason we're seeing some companies post big losses and blame it on taxes is because there's some strange loopholes that lets them carry forward tax liabilities and claim them at a later date, and that's what they're doing now.

---

Tom, I read everyone's posts.  Sometimes I take the wrong message and get mad, or miss the sarcasm because it's not obvious to me, or whatever, but I do read it all.  I think everyone does.  Mr. A's just in as good of a good mood today as he was in as bad of a bad mood on Friday.  I blame sun spots.
It happens for me a lot that people will say things that directly contradict with what i said, or say the exact same thing as if I didn't just say it. It's a little frustrating.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 09, 2015, 12:08:50 PM
You missed the point I was trying to make about generalized anger being focused on an individual (which is laughable and why the "Thanks Obama" meme exists at all)

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 11:50:55 AM
*sigh* glad you're interested in serious discourse. I suppose you agree with his policies and the direction he took canada.

I believe this fallacy is called "a false exclusionary disjunct"

Because I'm having a bit of fun today I obviously agree with policies and direction the previous PMO. Hahaha. No.

So you mean "silence implies consent/agreement/approval" ain't true?

Dang, I thought it was -- and therefore #NONBlackLiveDONTmatter ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

As much as you say you understand what I'm trying to say, which by the way has nothing to do with any given individual or political lean, I don't think you understand what I'm getting at which is simply this:

Directing blame for generalities or sufficiently complex issues on an individual is wrong, to the point of ludicrousness exemplified by the "thanks Obama" meme

At no point did I bring up ANY political point today, I made an observation based off what I've seen most Canadians posting on social media for months (to the point of utter nonsense), then you kind of ran with it in another direction, one I didn't expect at all.

Do I agree 100% with any party? No, that's impossible
Do I disagree 100% with any party? Equally no

Now, take a step back and go watch a video about a guy riding a buffalo -> https://youtu.be/iJ4T9CQA0UM

:D it's ALL GOOD
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 01:05:18 PM
So you mean "silence implies consent/agreement/approval" ain't true?

It doesn't have to be silence, if I say I like Strawberry it doesn't mean I hate Vanilla, a lot of fallacious arguments try and use that but obviously it's nonsense.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 12:33:02 PM
You missed the point I was trying to make about generalized anger being focused on an individual (which is laughable and why the "Thanks Obama" meme exists at all)
I missed nothing. I don't think it applies to most comments for harper. he actually IS responsible for a lot of the state our country has found itself in.

This thread, a strong need for levity, there is.
http://wikiality.wikia.com/wiki/Stephen_Harper

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 01:49:45 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 12:33:02 PM
I missed nothing. I don't think it applies to most comments for harper. he actually IS responsible for a lot of the state our country has found itself in.

LOL Bush Kisser, true in so many ways (also where's the eye-bleach?)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 12:45:08 PM
It happens for me a lot that people will say things that directly contradict with what i said, or say the exact same thing as if I didn't just say it. It's a little frustrating.

btw on this point I agree in part to what you are saying.

But keep in mind we are all very fast-thinking stream of consciousness dudes with hints of AD[H]D or Autism Spectrum etc and likely handling a dozen or more challenges from work or family or life in general at the same time as skim-reading posts on multiple forums throughout the busy day, so it's virtually never personal when we miss the point one of us makes (really, usually I make -- a more frequent occurrence than anyone else imho, but that's just because I brain-dump heavier and more frequently. I should probably ingest more mental fibre.) -- I would only be worried if these methods of trolling became common-place in our discussions. e.g. Apologies that are insincere? I can count on one hand the # of times that has happened on this forum in a decade.

Tom

Feh. Just felt like my entire post and point was passed over because you thought i didn't get what you were saying, more than once. I even acknowledged in my original message that I got it, but I don't think it fully applies in this case.

I know what you're saying, and yes some people take things to extremes. ie: BLAME CANADA. but... feh.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 02:28:00 PM
Just felt like my entire post and point was passed over because you thought i didn't get what you were saying, more than once.

Well I really don't understand what you want to talk about, maybe that's a topic for a new thread?

If it seems like I'm dodging a conversation about how we feel about the former PM it's because I am :) I have no feelings either way about the man himself
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

How I /feel/ about someone is a direct result of their actions. I don't hate easily.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 04:11:50 PM
How I /feel/ about someone is a direct result of their actions. I don't hate easily.

Agreed, I only hate people who hate without good reason. ("good" means I understand logically their reason, even if I do not personally agree. (which seems to be the opposite of most media pundits amirite) )

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 05:10:01 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2015, 04:11:50 PM

Agreed, I only hate people who hate without good reason. ("good" means I understand logically their reason, even if I do not personally agree. (which seems to be the opposite of most media pundits amirite) )

By not easy I mean I can count on one hand the number of people I felt I've truly hated in my life.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 09, 2015, 01:49:45 PM

This led to the Hockey entry: http://wikiality.wikia.com/wiki/Hockey

and to what Canadians really care about:

and then this fascinating gif of the ever-changing borders of Canada:

So I guess what I'm saying is thanks for a thirty minute detour through life?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 09, 2015, 07:47:12 PM
So I guess what I'm saying is thanks for a thirty minute detour through life?

Our Glorious Thruthiness Leader runs across the stage and high fives you an energetic You're Welcome!