Movies - What makes a good one?

Started by Bixby, January 25, 2008, 06:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

There was an appropriate quote on /. yesterday:

If you try to accommodate everybody, somebody will be upset.

There is no perfect movie.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Awe, next you'll tell me there isn't a perfect moment either... time to pack it all in now!

Back to the subject at hand, I think the best thing a movie does is brings out an entertaining distraction from life, which may contain some thought prevoking/emotional reaction, or may just be a way to pass time.

A great movie can be just that, a movie that was the right choice for the mood, state of mind, or situtational status of your life.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I only ask these of a movie:

Entertain me and / or make me think
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 03:01:29 PM

and / or present a character that I can "relate" to... even if he/she is uber-evil, at least let the humanity/motivation be clear enough that I'm "there" with them (or with the Good Guys) in some real way.

After all, that's why we pick up a book or install a video game, right?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 25, 2008, 03:08:03 PM

I don't know about you, but I just did it cause of peer pressure. :P

Seriously though, I don't know if I relate so much to every movie I liked or the characters within.  Sometimes it just was a worth while watching flick for the sake of watching the flick.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 03:01:29 PM

and / or present a character that I can "relate" to... even if he/she is uber-evil, at least let the humanity/motivation be clear enough that I'm "there" with them (or with the Good Guys) in some real way.

Y'know there are plenty of great movies with characters that I did not relate to at all (Scarface, The Deer Hunter, etc).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2008, 03:12:11 PM

I don't know about you, but I just did it cause of peer pressure. :P

It's funny but this is a motivator for a lot of gamers. The benefit though is that often the games and books with a lot of buzz are enjoyable (though sometimes not for reasons you would have tried it without feedback).

I do loathe review sites (movies, books, games, whatever). The only one who can tell me if something is good is me.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 03:15:26 PM
The only one who can tell me if something is good is me.

Well you and that anonymous guy sitting at the back of the room, shouting opinions and then pointing at the rather large fellow beside him.  I hate that guy! LOL :D

But yeah I totally agree with you!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2008, 03:17:49 PM
Well you and that anonymous guy sitting at the back of the room, shouting opinions

Actually if it's a crap film at the dollar theatre it enhances the experience...

Vader: "I can feel him"
Guy in Back: "Awwwwww sick man!"
Everyone: LOL!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 03:20:37 PM
Well you and that anonymous guy sitting at the back of the room, shouting opinions

Actually if it's a crap film at the dollar theatre it enhances the experience...

Or a girl behind you screaming a shrill movie chick scream, at a scary scene at a horror flick, enhancing the feeling of some great surround sound in a crappy theatre.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2008, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 25, 2008, 03:20:37 PM

Or a girl behind you screaming a shrill movie chick scream, at a scary scene at a horror flick, enhancing the feeling of some great surround sound in a crappy theatre.

Hey! I remember that in Sixth Sense, everyone thought it was part of the soundtrack.

It was a perfect scream!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2008, 03:25:23 PM

"Don't Open That Doo'! DON'T DO IT, GIRLFRIEND! AAAAHHHH!!!" (that final scene in the last season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" comes to mind ;) )

PS: Fastest. Growing. RW Thread. EVER.

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 25, 2008, 03:35:00 PM
PS: Fastest. Growing. RW Thread. EVER.

Sorry buddy, there is another going on at the moment that you can't see, grows faster!

Thorin

Yeah, this is only on page 2.  Nyah!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Bixby on January 25, 2008, 10:11:58 AM
Here is a site that a friend of mine reads. He is always going on about Movie Physics. Some of you may get a kick out of it.
http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Cheers,
Matt

"Visible Laserbeams" is especially interesting -- and SURPRISING! I never thought about the fact that a laser would not be visible from the "side"... even with "special glasses" +_+