City of Heroes table top RPG

Started by Mr. Analog, March 15, 2005, 04:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Saw this posted today on the CoH homepage, Eden Studios is going to release a pen & paper RPG based on City of Heroes. (info here) while I question whether or not this is a good idea, it sounds like it could be fun.

Though, I'm thinking it might be less popular if players dress as their characters...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

"...after the retreat of "Mr. Villian" you guys take to the town for some much needed R&R." says the Game Master

"Okay, well, i head to the closest 'GAP' as i need some new threads if im gonna continue kicking butt!" says Player 1

"Sorry, no stores, no money" says the Game Master

"Okay then, i want to repair my gun" says Player 2

"Sorry, weapons dont take damage" says the Game Master

"Can i at least make a potato silencer or even a Pop-Bottle silencer?" says Player 2

"Sorry, no crafting either" says the Game master "Infact, you are jumped by 30 gang members as you walk the streets of Kings Row"

"Get off that building and come help us Player 1" says Player 2

"Sorry, i just got my new flight skill and i cant help it" says Player 1 "...besides i already have 1,323,232 points of XP debt and i dont want any more"

Mr. Analog

Then there's WOW the RPG:

Player 1: "Onward to adventure, ho!"
Player 2 & 3: "Sorry we're busy killing the same monster type over and over hoping that, for some reason a quasi-intelligent monster is carrying a rare component that has no inherant value to the monster."
Player 1: "What about you Player 4?"
Player 4: "I joined a team playing at a different table, should be finished in 2, maybe 3 hours..."
DM: *closes everyones' books, takes away pencils* "The game must be shut down for maintenance, it will be back up at 04:00:00 GMT"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Saw this posted today on the CoH homepage, Eden Studios is going to release a pen & paper RPG based on City of Heroes. (info here) while I question whether or not this is a good idea, it sounds like it could be fun.

Though, I'm thinking it might be less popular if players dress as their characters...
YIKES.

I kid you not, on Saturday night at 10pm until 1130pm I sketched out the basic design of "Superheroes and Badguys", so I could play with my 9-year-old son and 8-year-old nephew. My thoughts were it would be like D&D, but since I don't actually know how to play properly, I'll make up my own game, keep it simple and less sword-slashing dragon-killing, and that way these boys would have a creative outlet, that perhaps they could even GM on their own.

My brother asked "is this your way of dealing with City of Heroes withdrawal" and I chuckled because in a way it was.

I spent Sunday working out some attribute stuff, keeping the rolls to only 6 sided dice, again to make sure it is simple (i.e. no dividing of numbers, etc.) If anyone is interested, IM me here and I'll send you an initial draft of a character sheet with the basic gameplay rules... But no critiques from a D&Dpurist POV okay! :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Well, if you want to use the immensly popular d20 system, you should check out the d20 System Reference Document (hyperlinked for your conveniance).

Or we could get together and we could go over the D&D basics which should give you enough to make up some simple game rules.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Might be a plan; I want it simple as possible (hence the normal D6) and primarily addition and table-lookups with easy-to-recognize patterns. But it would certainly be helpful to now look at how D&D (and other paperRPGs) structure the rules etc. so I can learn from their expertise...

Give me a call this week, mebbe after work we can visit?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

d20 is really easy to use, that way you can apply standard DC (Difficulty Class) ratings to do things, for example:

Punching your way out of a wet paper bag would be a DC of 0

Breaking down a normal door would be a DC of ~10

Diffusing a bomb might be a DC of 25

What's that I said? A 25? Yep, because you character will have skills and attributes you get to add modifiers to do most tasks, so lets say your guy is smart and has trained a skill that allows him to dismantle bombs, let's say the total modifier is +7 when you roll your d20 you add 7, of course your character doen't know anything about this and it's up to your DM to tell you if you are a smoking crater or not. :)

As you get higher in level (which represents the amount of amassed knowledge by you) your modifiers increas, so you will be able to one day diffuse the DC 36 nuclear bomb ticking away at the World Leader's Summit.
By Grabthar's Hammer