Google Web Accelerator

Started by Lazybones, May 05, 2005, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://webaccelerator.google.com/

This has been posted on a few sites so I thought I would give it a go. It's actually for users with High speed connections. It does things like prefetching links and more intelligent caching of page content that the browser usually does.

So far it has claimed to have saved me 6.4 minutes.. Over all I don't find browsing and faster or slower on most sites, but it does seem to help with slow sites or sites with more static content like web comics, these pages appear to load much faster.

Mr. Analog

At last a faster way to grep pr0n!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Watch out for the massive security issues this is bringing up...
QuoteA new tool released by Google to speed up web surfing has been hit by privacy concerns. It emerged that users visiting sites where they can log in - including Neowin - are being logged in as other users of the service.

Google Web Accelerator is currently in beta and automatically stores and updates the content of pages accessed through it. However, ZDNet reports at least one user having problems as he suddenly discovered he was logged in as someone else - a problem replicated here.

"I went to the Futuremark forums and noticed that I'm logged in as someone I don't know," the user said on a Google discussion group. "I've used Google's Web Accelerator for a couple of hours, visited lots of sites where I'm logged in. Now I wonder how many people used my cache. I understand it's a beta, sure, but something like that is totally unacceptable."

No comment yet from the search engine giant on the issue. However, it did warn that information sent through cookies would be "temporarily cached" - it's not clear yet if that is where the problem lies.

Source: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/...39197327,00.htm
After using it for 6 hours yesterday doing my normal job type duties, it saved me 38 seconds.  Sorta pathetic.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"Watch out for the massive security issues this is bringing up...
QuoteA new tool released by Google to speed up web surfing has been hit by privacy concerns. It emerged that users visiting sites where they can log in - including Neowin - are being logged in as other users of the service.

Google Web Accelerator is currently in beta and automatically stores and updates the content of pages accessed through it. However, ZDNet reports at least one user having problems as he suddenly discovered he was logged in as someone else - a problem replicated here.

"I went to the Futuremark forums and noticed that I'm logged in as someone I don't know," the user said on a Google discussion group. "I've used Google's Web Accelerator for a couple of hours, visited lots of sites where I'm logged in. Now I wonder how many people used my cache. I understand it's a beta, sure, but something like that is totally unacceptable."

No comment yet from the search engine giant on the issue. However, it did warn that information sent through cookies would be "temporarily cached" - it's not clear yet if that is where the problem lies.

Source: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/...39197327,00.htm
After using it for 6 hours yesterday doing my normal job type duties, it saved me 38 seconds.  Sorta pathetic.
As I said, it doesn't do much of anything for dynamic sites. It seems to boost things like news site articles and web comics fairly well. These type of sites although dynamic don't change as often as forums or database query based pages.  Sites that have lots of images or flash seem to load much faster in some cases.

Going back and viewing stuff you viewed a few minutes ago also seems to be improved.