IT'S FRIDAY FRIDAY

Started by Mr. Analog, March 23, 2012, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Woooooooooooooooooo! Friday once again!

What to do, what to do :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

friday - work - school swimming trip - work - lacrosse game / fastball tournament game - work - minecraft (I hope) - sleep - saturday - fastball tournament volunteering - work - fastball tournament game - fastball tournament volunteering - fastball tournament game - work - minecraft (I hope) - sleep - sunday - breakfast in bed (I hope) - fastball tournament game - fastball tournament volunteering - ?? free time ?? - ringette practice - sleep - HOLY CRAP IT'S MONDAY

It's not that kids make you more busy, it's that kids make you busy with activities you wouldn't have to / think to do if it was just you.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Work on a saturday? I thought you had a regular 9-5 job now?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 15, 2012, 12:36:41 PM
Work on a saturday? I thought you had a regular 9-5 job now?

Well he took the kids swimming this morning.

We're flexible like that
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, I took 1.5 hours out of my day yesterday for an end-of-year school meeting and 2 hours today for helping out with swimming.  Also, Tuesday I'll be in and out of the office as my mom's going for another day surgery and I'm the one taking her to and from.  Also also, I've been trying to wrap up this project with "one more day of work" for the last three weeks and really want to get it done.

I had a 9-5 job at the animal-tracking place, and hated it.  I'm frequently more in the zone (and thus more productive) between 4pm and 2am, so I find myself occasionally working in the evenings at night.  I don't mind as there are other times when I need to do stuff for the family and I can.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Ah ok. That's coo. I tend to work like that myself. I love the flexibility. Some times durring the week, I just /can't/ manage to get any work done on a given day. so I just say "FSCK IT" and work on the weekend. Because by the time the weekend comes, I often feel a lot better.

This is especially the case when I had to power through some extra work on thur-fri one week, or the weekend.. I end up a bit burnt out on mon, so its not atypical if I take monday off (and tuesday is my regular day off). Things shift around a bit, but its nice.

Thorin

Really?  You check the file system of the IT department if you don't feel like working?

tongue clearly in cheek there

Flexibility is WONDERFUL.  Just sometimes others that rely on you take it for granted, and then you get in trouble because you're taking advantage of the flexibility too much.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yep, gotta temper flexibility with availability.

Personally I love having a bit of flex time, but I hate coding past 11 PM, zone or no zone it screws up my mornings...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2012, 02:15:17 PM
Really?  You check the file system of the IT department if you don't feel like working?
That actually took a moment... But yes ;D

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2012, 02:15:17 PM
Flexibility is WONDERFUL.  Just sometimes others that rely on you take it for granted, and then you get in trouble because you're taking advantage of the flexibility too much.
Yeah, I do try to be available every work (for me) day for meetings and such, regardless if I'm actually working or not. So I pay attention to the email and the work chat thing (campfire).

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2012, 02:32:22 PM
Yep, gotta temper flexibility with availability.

Personally I love having a bit of flex time, but I hate coding past 11 PM, zone or no zone it screws up my mornings...
There was a client review/demo scheduled for the monday before last (which noone told me about till monday! though the boss did "ping" me on the friday prior, just didn't say why). And I really didn't have enough done to warrant a showing off. So it was moved to the friday of that week, and I decided to put in some extra effort. Worked 8 hours on monday, 2 hours on tuesday, two 11 hour days on wed+thur, and on friday I put in 16.  16 more hours than a normal week, but I think it was worth it. Essentially I just didn't go to sleep on thursday. Hit the sack around 11am-1pm on friday. That was a bit draining. took the entire weekend off from /everything/. I did absolutely nothing. Well not quite true, I think I mowed my lawn. Other than that, TV, Youtube, food, and sleep.

I was and am rather happy with the results though. All that's left with this project is waiting for feedback and some polishing. Well, and waiting for the company implementing the remote API to get off their big fat duffs, or for the client to give up on them, and just give us the job (Which we thought we were going to to at the start, soo already kinda sorta had it planned out).

So yeah.

Mr. Analog

If it work for you then great, just don't burn out, it's good to get some balance every day...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2012, 03:36:25 PM
If it work for you then great, just don't burn out, it's good to get some balance every day...
Yeah. Luckily I was pretty good for monday this week. Full day in \o/. Taking the weekend completely off anything remotely brain draining really helped. Also I think I might be getting a little more used to the work. Maybe a little anyhow.

Thorin

That's good to hear, Tom, that you're getting in the groove.

I totally understand the 16 hour day - I would if I could (and I have occasionally in my career).  As long as it's 16 hours in the zone, not 16 hours panicking about missing the deadline and therefore not being in the zone.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 15, 2012, 03:45:42 PM
That's good to hear, Tom, that you're getting in the groove.

I totally understand the 16 hour day - I would if I could (and I have occasionally in my career).  As long as it's 16 hours in the zone, not 16 hours panicking about missing the deadline and therefore not being in the zone.
I'd say it was more on the Zone side, but a tiny bit of panicking. But only a very tiny amount. After a certain point I realized things were starting to shape up well enough to not worry too much, and that I should just keep an eye on how much time I spend on stupid @%&# I could fix later.

It was more like a 26+ hour day though. The 11 hours on thursday, and the 16 on friday are all connected :-x

On thursday night I still wanted to get a couple more major-ish things completed, and a few minor things patched up. So Instead of hitting the hay on thursday night after the 11 hour day, I just stayed up to get it all in place, since the client demo was scheduled for Friday morning ish. Of course some of that time was just chatting with the project lead, fixing minor niggles he brought up, writing a progress update, and waiting to hear about the demo, which I still haven't heard back about ::) boss has been busy though. infact he's moving to a new house today. on top of getting married last month / early this month.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 15, 2012, 11:03:58 AM
Woooooooooooooooooo! Friday once again!

What to do, what to do :)

Trying not to completely lose consciousness/sanity with a sleepover for my now-11-year-old daughter, her and her 13 friends (only 2 or 3 said they couldn't make it, WAY less than she expected  :o )

At least Sunday is Fathers Day and the awesome "Show and Shine" event at my church -- it's a free car show along with free food (hot dogs BBQ iirc) and the last few years there were hundreds of (very old or very new/expensive) cars and motorcycles all looking purty (too bad last year it rained a lot).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Man, you have my sympathies...

Well hopefully it's sunny for y'all on Sunday.

Me, I plan on getting a tan tomorrow.
By Grabthar's Hammer