Facebook evil -- not even hiding it anymore

Started by Darren Dirt, April 04, 2012, 09:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 03:21:51 PM
You know though, usually you need to get explicit permission from someone to perform experiments on them :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_psychology#Ethics

They debriefed (hence the outrage), no actual harm done, etc...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yah. They claim no harm done. but the psyche is a complex beast. You start making a depressed person's feed lonely and depressing, @%&#'s gonna happen.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 03:37:28 PM
Yah. They claim no harm done. but the psyche is a complex beast. You start making a depressed person's feed lonely and depressing, @%&#'s gonna happen.

If someone can prove that damage was done in a court of law then Facebook would have to take responsibility for that action, but I'm going to guess that the risk of that is extremely low. Particularly since they are claiming ignorance for a non-criminal act.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Just because it can't be proven legally, doesn't mean you should do it ::)

Actions and concequences. If DEATH is ok to you as a result of a silly experiment, maybe you should take a step back.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 03:51:43 PM
Just because it can't be proven legally, doesn't mean you should do it ::)

That's true, then again, if you are doing something that can't be proven harmful it doesn't mean you shouldn't

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 03:51:43 PMActions and concequences. If DEATH is ok to you as a result of a silly experiment, maybe you should take a step back.

If death occurs and liability is proven in a court of law then yeah, I think they should.

But the reality is if someone say, commits suicide over the experiment, the following civil case would be an extremely difficult and lengthy (expensive!) one to prove by the Prosecution. Things that would call the Prosecution's case into question such as the medical history of the deceased prior to the incident, how prone to suicide they were, etc, would be ample fodder for the Defence.

:shrug:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I really don't care and don't think the enforceability should have anything to do with it. Just because it isn't a risk for them, doesn't mean they shouldn't consider the consequences.

Too many people in big corporate cultures forget their humanity. They are insulated by the company, because most times, there are no real consequences. I think that is bad.

This is just one of those cases. They thought it was a cool idea, and thats about as far they thought through it.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 03:37:28 PM

Heck even just from the perspective of shareholders and profit impact, the damage to the TRUST of the public at large vis. Facebook, that's a pretty serious faux pas. Not even thinking about the possible harm of emotionally vulnerable kids who mighta been part of the experiment or others like it (or heck some might even THINK they were part of it, amplifying their paranoia, social anxiety, etc. who knows...) "With Great Power..."

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 04:35:03 PM
Just because it isn't a risk for them, doesn't mean they shouldn't consider the consequences.

Too many people in big corporate cultures forget their humanity. They are insulated by the company, because most times, there are no real consequences.

Exactly.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It's not always so clear though, imagine running a business and having someone come out of (apparently) nowhere saying that you did them harm. You can either settle with them directly if you agree or take it to court.

The legal side of business is why I didn't jump on the app-writing bandwagon a lot of my friends did back when the MacBook Pro came out, the legal side of it is terrifying. Some nut could claim you caused them harm from something that you weren't even aware was a thing (because we're not all walking medical / legal encyclopedias) and not only ruin your business but your life. No thanks. As much as it stinks there are laws about this kind of stuff that work for both sides.

But the Big Corporate Entity is Always Wrong and Always to Blame ::)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 04:50:29 PM
Of course it isnt. But it does insulate people from thinking as a rational human being.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 04:55:17 PM
Of course it isnt. But it does insulate people from thinking as a rational human being.

Agent K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 04:57:22 PM

Agent K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
Totally. And a big corporation can influence a lot of people.

Darren Dirt

...makes me think of this paradoxical truth...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:00:53 PM

... a big corporation is MADE of people!

:)

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 03, 2014, 05:01:54 PM

...makes me think of this paradoxical truth...

So tru haha
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 05:04:56 PM

Maybe, maybe not. It acts more like a monolithic entity of its own, and in the US, it IS A PERSON! OMG!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:07:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 05:04:56 PM

Maybe, maybe not. It acts more like a monolithic entity of its own, and in the US, it IS A PERSON! OMG!

I'm confused now because the legal fiction of treating corporations as "persons" is what allows people to sue corporations in the United States.
By Grabthar's Hammer