Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:07:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:00:53 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 04:57:22 PM
Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 03, 2014, 04:50:29 PM
But the Big Corporate Entity is Always Wrong and Always to Blame ::)
Of course it isnt. But it does insulate people from thinking as a rational human being.

Agent K: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
Totally. And a big corporation can influence a lot of people.

... a big corporation is MADE of people!
Maybe, maybe not. It acts more like a monolithic entity of its own, and in the US, it IS A PERSON! OMG!

I'm confused now because the legal fiction of treating corporations as "persons" is what allows people to sue corporations in the United States.
It also now allows them to spend infinitely on political campaigns cause its "free speech".

That insulation is actually a big part of why people become desensitized to humanity. There are no real consequences, and they are stuck inside an echo chamber.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Any large group of similarly aligned individuals becomes a giant echo chamber

But yeah, the 14th Amendment is a tricky one to amend... mostly because of the working in the areas of equal protection under the law
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

somewhat tangent, but i don't think corporations should have "free speech" they are not actually people. I also think the people making decisions should get less protection than they do now. not none, of course. but less.

Corporations just shouldn't get the same exact protections that individuals do, due to not actually being people. imo.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:34:06 PM
somewhat tangent, but i don't think corporations should have "free speech" they are not actually people. I also think the people making decisions should get less protection than they do now. not none, of course. but less.

Corporations just shouldn't get the same exact protections that individuals do, due to not actually being people. imo.

Like I say, in the US you'd have to change the wording in the Fourteenth Amendment, good luck getting that through the dysfunctional organism known as Congress (thinking of the Agent K quote again)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Actually, all it took was some dumb ass republican judges to interpret it that way. all they have to do is interpret it the way it was interpreted before.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2014, 05:34:06 PM

JEEPERS! I swear there is an Abstract Goose comic for almost every damn thing we are ever talking about:
http://abstrusegoose.com/239

Strive for progress. Not perfection.