Oilers 2012-2013

Started by Thorin, April 02, 2013, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I meant half way through a regular season.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

So I was looking at the Oilers website for their schedule.  The next home game is April 10th vs Phoenix.  There's a link to buy tickets, so I thought I'd click it and see what's available.  This took me to Ticketmaster, where they have a neat app that shows for each section what seats are available.

Well, let me tell you...  Of the 16,839 total seats there are only 80 seats left to buy tickets for, and they're all single seats!  Singles are notoriously hard to sell, and yet it's possible that they'll still sell them.  But just think, this is not officially a sell-out because there are 0.475% of the seats still available.  That's right, it's a 99.525% sold-out game.  Against Phoenix of all teams!  After intentionally tanking for three years straight!

So the next time a media mouthpiece paid by the Oilers wants to complain about fans booing a lacklustre effort (as what happened on March 23rd and Dan Tencer then complained about), maybe they need to shut up and say, "Hey, thanks for supporting us through all of this pain and you're right, we need to work harder".

Dunno if you've noticed, but the fans made sure to applaud the Oilers two games later when they won by clearly working hard.  Hell, last night in Calgary they got applause from Oilers fans that had driven down to attend the game in Calgary!

Weirdest thing I saw in that game last night was a small child wearing an Oilers t-shirt sitting on the lap of his mom wearing a Flames jersey (dad was sitting next to them in an Oilers jersey).  It looked ... awkward.  The mom and dad disagreeing I can understand.  The mom and toddler disagreeing, WTF?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

She probably didn't want to taint her young one with such filth.

;)

Thorin

Well the Oilers are sucking and the players don't look like they're trying anymore.  At least it helps their chances at another high draft pick.  Here's a hilarious Kijiji listing for yesterday's game:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tickets-Edmonton-Oilers-vs-Chicago-Blackhawks-04-24-2013-W0QQAdIdZ477724110

quoted in case it disappears:

I'm selling 2 tickets to tomorrow night's Oilers/Blackhawks game. These tickets are a perfect investment for any Blackhawks fan wanting to see their team put a 10-spot on the home squad. If you're an Oilers fan, this will be your second last opportunity of the season to boo the team off the ice. For fringe fans with no allegiance to either team, tomorrow night's game might be your best opportunity to win the 50/50. By my calculations, the Oilers should be down by a half dozen goals by the 2nd intermission--which means the capacity crowd will begin to file out--thereby increasing the odds of you winning some money. If you fall into any of the above categories, please call 780-974-4038 to purchase my tickets.

Section 225
Row 34

***I'd say these tickets are attacking zone twice, but that would insinuate the Oilers will attack something/anything. Please do not buy these tickets if you're a delusional Oilers fan hoping to see an upset tomorrow night. I don't want to be in any way responsible for your disappointment. If you're looking to throw away some hard-earned money, I'm asking for $75 (per ticket).

Now that is some serious disillusionment in that post right there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 25, 2013, 06:46:07 PM
Now that is some serious disillusionment in that post right there.

ah yes, that there is a comedic yet gentle reminder that everything tastes of porridge.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I prefer illusionment

Not only did they Oilers win but they did so using wooden limbs instead of sticks whilst riding large birds
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You know, the Oilers talking heads said they wanted improvement from this year over last, and they look to have improved.  They've gone 30th, 30th, 29th.  This year they'll most likely be 27th or 26th.  Although they could still drop to 28th fairly easily.  Dropping to 29th is almost impossible (but not actually impossible yet).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Sean Horcoff traded to DALLAS

Now watch him have the best year ever lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 05, 2013, 08:51:54 AM
Sean Horcoff traded to DALLAS

Now watch him have the best year ever lol
It's amazing what non retarded management and ungimped coaching can do.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Right, so, centers.  Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is on the Injured Reserve list and may or may not be ready to start hockey by the time the season starts.  Sam Gagner, well, MacT has come out publicly and suggested he may be moved to the wing.  Horcoff just got traded for a defenseman and a large amount of cap space relief.  Belanger has been waived so that he can be bought out.  Jerred Smithson's contract is up, do they plan on re-signing him?  Anton Lander is not believed ready for the NHL yet.  Mark Arcobello is believed too small for the NHL.

We've moved from poor at defense to poor at center.  Oh, and our top defenders are Smid and Petry, not as strong as defenders on other teams.  But hey, at least we have a lot of defensive depth now, right?  Petry, Smid, J Schultz, N Schultz, Anton Belov, Philip Larsen, Corey Potter, Taylor Fedun, ... see how quickly we're into the AHL defenders already?

Oh wait, we just picked up Andrew Ference on defense as I was typing this.  Where does he slot in?  Probably before or after J Schultz.  So Ptery, SMid, J SChultz, Ference, N Schultz, Belov, with Larsen, Potter, Fedun waiting for call-ups for injuries.

But still, ONE UNINJURED NHL-QUALITY CENTERMAN.  Oh, and only one NHL-quality goalie.  We'll see how this all pans out.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful