eVGA ... an RMA Story

Started by Shayne, October 26, 2006, 01:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

So, as most of you know I have a pair of 7900 GT Superclocked that I purchased from Memory Express about 6 months ago.  Well, recently one of them decided to die and I was forced to go through the RMA process.  I talked to the folks at Memory Express and they said they could do it, but it would likely be faster on my own.

So i braved the world of RMA.

RMA with eVGA is very straight forward.  Its entirely done through the web and they know what you are sending back based upon the registered serial numbers of the products you have.  So I picked the one from the list of 2 and pressed the RMA button and I was presented with a screen asking me for $20.  Shipping charges would be billed to me.  Hmmm, i reluctantly spend the $20 because frankly its a lot cheaper then replacing the card out of pocket ;)

After putting in my credit card information and submitting the form, the website tells me that I should expect an email in the next few minutes.  I receive the email in a timely fashion and enclosed are some rather detailed instructions of how to send the card.  Don't send any of the extra stuff, bubble wrap the @%&# out of it, make sure its in static free bag, make sure you send it with a tracking number, etc.  I follow these instructions perfectly, and mail my card away quickly (RMA and the $20 fee expire after 2 weeks).

They get my card in 3 days (sent using Canada Express Post, cost me $18 + $10 in packing materials), and within 3 days they send a new card to me.  I received it today, about 5 days after they shipped it, and i can report that it appears to work perfectly.

Overall I was greatly impressed with the service and speed at which the operation took, I'm a little saddened by the $50 out of pocket expense, but its still $300 cheaper then the replacing of the entire card.  Its also worth noting that on the eVGA forums many people complain about getting a used card returned (refurb), mine was not, it was brand new.

eVGA products come with a lifetime warranty.

Lazybones

Interesting....

Did MemX not have stock on that model anymore?

Wasn't 6 months, more like over the course of 4 weeks that I was able to exchange defective parts from my system over the counter.. Actually the mother board was about 4 months when the chip set fan went.

Makes sense if they didn't have stock, but it concerns me if they did because that might mean they are getting lazy or cheap on their return and customer service.

Shayne

Nope, they dont and as far as i can tell it might be a discontinued model.  Also the overclocked 7900s are notorious for crapping out.

Source: http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35244

Lazybones

Ok, well in that case I think you got very good warranty support.