Usamot 2 ideas and zoning

Started by Lazybones, March 10, 2014, 08:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Well the new world is up. Spawn is currently at the centre of a crossroad that's three blocks wide extends in 4 directions.

Other than the set main road do we want to specify dimensions for zoning around spawn with smaller walkways? Framing and animal holding pens are already starting to fill in the area.

Thorin

I'd like to see us fence off and light up a small area, say twenty blocks out from spawn in each direction (so 41x41) just so new players don't get a lot of creeper KA-BOOM!

We have a building with storage and beds, called the Survival Shack.  I'm thinking of moving it back a bit so that the spawn area can be more of a town square.

We have a set of fields with wheat and carrots planted (first zombie I killed, first one killed on this map, gave me a carrot!).  Those fields might have to be moved back a couple of squares, too.

Everything found in the Survival Shack is for public use - tons of cobble, of course, but also a couple of stacks of iron and redstone and lots of wood and coal and glass and sand and all that other great stuff.

I will eventually create a house for myself a little further out.  I'm happy to build on the flatlands, I know several people are going to be fightin' over who gets to build in the mountains right nearby.  And Lazy's been to the mesa and back already, it's not that far.

Anyway, back to the original question, I think we can let the side-roads develop themselves.  Maybe we could mark the main road with stone slab sidewalks?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Spawn needs a full beacon with regen, and maybe something else... the only other really useful thing on beacons is haste2 but I really don't want people to be mining out everything under spawn ;)

When I get on and have enough gear, I may volunteer to do the wither for that... but no idea when, so if anyone beats me to it, go right ahead.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I think that beacon might be a while yet :P  Haven't even found diamonds yet.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

You just spend too long making shacks :P

Melbosa

Awe and I spent my only time making that Farm that we are to move now :(.  So sad.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Hey, I spent a lot of hours underground...  I personally retrieved about a stack and a half of iron, and a half stack of gold, and a couple stacks of redstone dust, and a stack and a half of lapis (although it went missing).  All with stone tools except for the gold/redstone/lapis which required the iron pick.

To put it another way, I'm level 32 and you don't get there by just building shacks.

But damn, I gotta go find a place to build a mine where I'm not cutting through caves or into lava lakes...

Quote from: Melbosa on March 10, 2014, 12:20:34 PM
Awe and I spent my only time making that Farm that we are to move now :(.  So sad.

Just needs to move over a couple of blocks, not that hard.  I still think we want it right by spawn, but just like the Survival Shack, it's a little too close to the intersection to make a nice little town square.

Oh hey!  I found a zombie spawner, so I'll probably make an XP farm outta that this week.  Won't be as fast as the triple-spawner I had going on the old map, but at least we'll be able to grind XP when we need to.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I say nay to XP farms

There's 3 ways to get XP outside of killing monsters so it shouldn't be a problem any more.
-Mining
-Smelting / cooking
-Breeding

I don't know about everyone else but when enough people were on Usamot (and depending how close they were to an XP farm) I would get super lag, which on the ground isn't a big deal but when you're shift+building 100+ meters high... kind of a big deal if that block is actually under you or not

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I can say that xp farm would lag things out quite a bit. I wish minecraft was properly multithreaded. maybe have threads handle "zones" of like 10x10 chunks... But thats probably a lot of work to make it do.

Thorin

XP gain through mining + smelting is a pretty long process compared to grinding at an XP farm. And when you're trying to get that one enchantment, and going through 50 books to get it, you'll want the fastest possible route.

At the same time, there's no reason we can't say don't grind when others are online unless they've said okay.

I actually found I got lag more when I was the only one on than when there were others on at the same time as me.

Anyway, XP doesn't matter until we find give diamonds (three for the pick to get obsidian, two for the enchanting table). I'll be setting up a mine further from spawn to try and find some.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on March 10, 2014, 01:52:55 PM
XP gain through mining + smelting is a pretty long process compared to grinding at an XP farm. And when you're trying to get that one enchantment, and going through 50 books to get it, you'll want the fastest possible route.

At the same time, there's no reason we can't say don't grind when others are online unless they've said okay.

I actually found I got lag more when I was the only one on than when there were others on at the same time as me.

Anyway, XP doesn't matter until we find give diamonds (three for the pick to get obsidian, two for the enchanting table). I'll be setting up a mine further from spawn to try and find some.
If you're the only one on, you'll get a lot more mobs in your area. due to having the server mob cap to yourself.

Speaking of mob caps, we can tweak that with bukkit.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 10, 2014, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Thorin on March 10, 2014, 01:52:55 PM

If you're the only one on, you'll get a lot more mobs in your area. due to having the server mob cap to yourself.

Speaking of mob caps, we can tweak that with bukkit.

I still don't understand what the rush is to have several chests full of enchanted equipment that goes unused, by playing the game and regularly enchanting books it shouldn't take long to get a good library of enchantments. I think for some things that are extremely rare like implement specific enchantments (silk touch anyone?) that have a >2% chance we can just op/give it

But yeah, I gotta get on there and find ya'll some diamonds. I'm the diamond master over here...

Also speaking of lag I'm going to try strip mining and using a pipe system of droppers, I don't know how heavy this will be, for the first few levels it probably won't matter, and I won't put it on a permanent clock or anything dumb like that, but at some point I'll have a big hole with a vertical column of redstone contraptions...

This server I'm going to start with something more industrial scale so I'll be building a factory to handle most of my material generation, so whatever the plot size is, it's going to be a big factory on top of that square and a pit below. I'll have a pipe going up from my mine into a sorting system, then into automatic smelting systems. It's gonna be cool and it will give me building resources on a scale I could only dream of before.

We'll see how it goes I guess :)

How to compact sorting!
http://youtu.be/30QU3WqklD0
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Are you planning on building that factory right near spawn, or a hundred or so blocks out?  We could mark off the area as the "industrial zone" in town.

As for piles of enchanted equipment, there are certain enchantments that make the game go much faster - efficiency and unbreaking on diamond picks and axes, for instance, or aqua infinity and respiration on helmets.  Silk touch isn't that hard to get on a pick at level 30, but getting it on shears through books is nearly impossibbible.  And none of it goes unused, just some of it has to wait for its turn or gets donated to other players.

I think my plan is to go a couple hundred blocks out and build a castle-looking manor house.  And I wanna set up a nice efficient mine somewhere, with a couple of layers.  But not right by spawn, because other people probably wanna dig there.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah, I was planning on building out a ways, not too far though, I don't remember the exact lay of the land from the map Lazy generated before but I know I want a mountain or something

Then I'll start thinking of interesting new builds I guess :)

I think near spawn we should build a town square or a mall or something, where we can share resources...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Everyone wants the mountains.  You all are gonna hafta learn t' share.

Yes, definitely, a town square.  But how big should it be?  Right now it's about 5x5 with a building and some fenced farmland and fenced animal pens right near it.  We could make it 15x15, then there'd be a bit more space for buildings along it?  There are already gravel roads leading in the four compass directions, so people can build nearby without building right at spawn, and then connect their builds to the main roads so people can find their way back easier.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful