Anyone own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0?

Started by Melbosa, April 24, 2013, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I just won one at a VMware Workshop today, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to let it me hook to my Hotmail to the device without a SIM Card (over wireless).  It let me setup all my other accounts (Exchange, Google, Facebook) but when I go to add Hotmail it wants to use the SIM Card.  I am hoping someone out there has one or set this up once....
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

My brother has a Tab, but I haven't set one up my self.

Mr. Analog

I don't know anyone who has run into this problem...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah my googling hasn't shown the issue either.  I'd take it back, but I won it so really no where to take it too.

Melbosa

Well I figured out how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlZuTbcG2JU

But I had to use Other (you get a choice after you already have an account setup to see what type) and it worked that way.  If I tried to use "Windows Live" account, which is hotmail, it would ask me for my SIM card... stupid.

Tom

Probably just a stupid coder/manager. If it detects the hardware it unconditionally assumes its ok to use.

If you don't want it, I could take it off your hands ;)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

No No... I won fair and square, and now I have tablet of each OS, which helps tremendously in troubleshooting and support.

Tom

That is about what I'd use it for. I already have an ipad 4 and a nexus 7 :)
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I do like that Plex Plus is free client on Android (might be on iOS too now).  Saved me the $5 on Andoid.

Side note:  Plex client on Android and iOS is $5 and $3 on Windows Store... probably cause its easier to code I am guessing, and you can install the free client directly on Windows if you wish.

Melbosa

Damnit... how the hell can I get this thing to Software update to the latest Android release for the device.  Keeps saying Service Unavailable when I do it through the Software Update.  Is there a way to know if the service is truly unavailable or if it is some type of Verizon custom code thing (because I don't have a SIM card in it)?

Melbosa

Melbosa

Gah what a PAIN!... finally got it updated to 4.1.2.  Me thinks I might want it rooted now so I don't have to go through that hassle again... but then I spent like 3 hours trying to do that and couldn't make it work :(

Lazybones

Makes it hard to take for granted how easy iOS updates are.

Melbosa

Yes Microsft and Apple have the patching and updating a lot more solid than Android flavours.  If only Google was the controlling source it would be different, but the it wouldn't be an open platform.

Lazybones

It also might not be the number one mobile malware platform as well , we'll at lease according the the security report lunch session I went to today.

Mr. Analog

I'm not so sure, I've updated my Xoom and my Note II many times now without any problems. My experience has been seamless so far.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah I bet.  Too bad I have a Verizon based tablet... not so easy to update in Canada it seems.

Lazybones

Time to root it and put cryogen on it.

Melbosa

I suckered Cova into doing it for me :P

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on May 01, 2013, 01:59:00 PM
Time to root it and put cryogen on it.

You mean cyanogen right?  Yeah turns out my SCH-i705 Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 7.0" 4G LTE model is a bit new... no one has a ROM/Kernel out for it yet.  But there are instructions on how to Root it out there, so at least I will be half way done.

Cova helped me find the instructions, but seems only Windows Based with ODIN exists, and he is all Linuxed up... no Microsoft for him if he can help it.

Lazybones

Yes, or any other clean alternative firmware to exclude OEM customizations   

The chain of updates sucks on Android.

Go Google Nexus you have one device to choose from but updates are Google direct.

Purchase an independent tablet and the updates are Google->OEM->you

Purchase a tablet or phone from a carrier and. You get updates filtered and modified from Google->OEM->Carrier->you

Reminds me a lot of windows mobile, Microsoft web for direct updates on windows phone but testing for OEMs other than partner Nokia lags a bit.