Apple is going after the mobile gaming market hard

Started by Lazybones, April 08, 2010, 03:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

One of the new features in iPhone OS 4.0 is an online gaming community like XBOX Live.. It includes matchmaking and apparently other game related features to bring mobile online gaming to the next level.

http://gizmodo.com/5512637/iphone-40s-game-center-matchmaking-leaderboards-and-achievements

Apple is already eating into both Nintendo's and Sony's Handheld sales... And you have to admit that Nintendo's Friend Code system is awful. I don't think the PSP has any thing in terms of match making, however I do know it does have an online store.

Thorin

I will say, my wife's iPhone gets used for games by the kids more than it gets used for phone calls.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

There were a whack of other things announced for iPhone 4.0, including specialized multi-tasking and support for VOIP apps like skype to work like normal phone calls..

This will also kill some gaming projects that were working on their own match making services.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on April 09, 2010, 01:06:57 AM
There were a whack of other things announced for iPhone 4.0, including specialized multi-tasking and support for VOIP apps like skype to work like normal phone calls..

This will also kill some gaming projects that were working on their own match making services.
No kidding. My game is all online and needs a group of users... And I don't really think anything apple can provide will work well enough, but I guess we'll see.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!