TV Turn Off Week

Started by Mr. Analog, April 25, 2005, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Hey everybody, why don't you turn off your set for a week and see what happens?

http://www.tvturnoff.org/index.htm
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

passive resistance.  HaHa.

Shayne

What we need is a little "Project Mayhem".  Get the bats, head to the roof tops....

Tonnica

Turning off the TV for a week is an absolute snap for me. The shows I do like to watch are usually reruns (sometimes very old reruns at that) and I don't take advantage of satellite cable movies very much, if at all. TV just doesn't matter all that much to me.

At the same time I'm not very interested in new radio either. The music is okay but when the new stations unenticingly command continous generic thugging it I lose interest. Yes, it could be that I'm just jaded against new media altogether but it's been a long time since something new coming out (that wasn't some form of cartoon) really excited me.

I'll probably be not touching that dial (to the "on" setting) all week. It does make me a bit glum to think about how little I'll miss from something that can at its fullest potentail bring us news, sports, weather, music, historical programmes, plays, literature, movies, and shut-your-brain-off entertainment quickly and conveniently.

Thorin

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Hey everybody, why don't you turn off your set for a week and see what happens?
Funny that yesterday I was telling my wife that I want to get away from getting sucked into the boob tube (once I start, I can't stop!), and so I'd be starting a play-by-post D&D game up to fill my evenings.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

The Silver Surfer

But Justice League is on Friday, and it might be new :(  

Bryan

You kidding me? Family Guy is sunday!

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Mr. Analog

Dust off your VCRs and set up the recorder-timer function.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Dust off your VCRs and set up the recorder-timer function.
www.tvtorrents.com <- for all your TV needs, but not watching TV.  Oh, and use Firefox, as a couple of their advertisers use ActiveX or something (i wouldnt know)

Mr. Analog

Sadly, tvtorrents is down (at least, that's what I was told).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

...the IRC is down, but the website is good to go.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Tonnica"At the same time I'm not very interested in new radio either. The music is okay but when the new stations unenticingly command continous generic thugging it I lose interest. Yes, it could be that I'm just jaded against new media altogether but it's been a long time since something new coming out (that wasn't some form of cartoon) really excited me.
*gags at the sight of quite-decent SONIC being mentioned in the same sentence as gag-worthy BOUNCE*

Sonic plays classics and rarities by Smashing Pumpkins, NiN, The Offspring, Beastie Boys, even Depeche Mode, among others. Bounce plays mizspelld crapperz hoo think they y'all ganstah oh sumtin. :rolleyes:

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Bryan

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"Dust off your VCRs and set up the recorder-timer function.
Not a bad idea, but I know someone will ruin it and talk about it.
Does this tv shutdown include computers? (excluding work)

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"
Quote from: "Tonnica"At the same time I'm not very interested in new radio either. The music is okay but when the new stations unenticingly command continous generic thugging it I lose interest. Yes, it could be that I'm just jaded against new media altogether but it's been a long time since something new coming out (that wasn't some form of cartoon) really excited me.
*gags at the sight of quite-decent SONIC being mentioned in the same sentence as gag-worthy BOUNCE*

Sonic plays classics and rarities by Smashing Pumpkins, NiN, The Offspring, Beastie Boys, even Depeche Mode, among others. Bounce plays mizspelld crapperz hoo think they y'all ganstah oh sumtin. :rolleyes:
I wholeheartedly agree, Edmonton needed an alt rcok station simply because The Bear and KROCK both SUCK, lots of great music and few interruptions combine to make it a great station to listen to.

Where else can you hear the Pixies, Ramones and REM all in one hour?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Bryan"
Not a bad idea, but I know someone will ruin it and talk about it.
Does this tv shutdown include computers? (excluding work)
Games and such, but I will mostly just be turning the boob tube off.
By Grabthar's Hammer