Sci Fi Movies

Started by Stewie521, December 30, 2009, 10:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I think that's stretching what Melbosa meant by "retold" which to me fell somewhere between reboot (Batman/Spiderman) and adaptation (Titanic)

What those links are talking about is something like recollecting bits and pieces into a vague narrative (the guy who did the thing with the thing), pretty funny stuff but maybe should have been in its own thread

The story of Wrath of Khan is an interesting one, for one they ditched Roddenberry as Producer and hired Harve Bennett. Harve hadn't seen Star Trek before so apparently he went back to the original series and watched the whole thing end to end, apparently he saw the Motion Picture as well and found it slow and plodding and lacking any real tension (as did probably 9/10ths of the human race lol) finding a really strong character in Khan by way of the television series he proceeded to work around that character as a concept. He put together his team and went off to the races trying to make the film as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Of course some of the things you notice about Wrath of Khan are recycled shots from TMP, a much smaller supporting cast, virtually no extras, extensive set redressing, sets from the unused Star Trek Phase II project and so on.

The key to Khan is the story it tells and the powerful characters it creates and of course the way over the top dialogue, you don't have to know much about Star Trek to enjoy Khan, but the fact that you do know things makes it all the sweeter (well, except for some minor quibbles such as how Khan would recognise Chekov when they had never met before...)

The script overall was mostly happy accident I think, or maybe putting it in better terms the right collection of things happened to make it happen. There were a lot of alternative scripts and ideas floating around (and a writers strike somewhere in there too!) it's amazing we got the story we did, and I for one am glad it turned out the way it did.

I can't recall if I said this before but I don't really consider the Star Trek films to be all that "sci-fi"-ey, sci-fantasy yes, but not like the series where some more serious/interesting themes were explored.

:)
By Grabthar's Hammer