Doctor Who Starts Up!

Started by Thorin, September 01, 2012, 01:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Doctor Who's new season starts today on Space, at 7pm MDT.  There's gonna be Daleks!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

What I want to know is why the Daleks have an Asylum and how crazy you have to be to go there :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well, that was answered in the episode today.  Has anyone not seen it yet?  Should I wait with discussing it?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 02, 2012, 12:20:04 AM
Well, that was answered in the episode today.  Has anyone not seen it yet?  Should I wait with discussing it?

Watched it many hours ago... Not bad...

Darren Dirt

Maybe create a "Doctor Who discussion/spoiler thread". for this and future eps. Because some of us will avoid that thread until watching.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Or we could install a spoiler tag mod that works in almost every post?

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on September 02, 2012, 12:45:09 AM

Watched it many hours ago... Not bad...

She's cute.

Also so's her looks.

Her spirit is kinda like Amy in early eps, combined with the one-shot sorta-companion in the Tenant episode who stole the flying bus at the end and went on her own adventures.

Saw it last night, still feeling kinda unsure if the logic was very tight re. the whole re-booting of the Daleks as vilains, I don't quite get how they [spoilered] Amy and Rory once it was revealed that
Spoiler
. Is it like a timetravel-teleporter thingie they each have?  ???
[close]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Some thoughts as I watched this episode this morning.

Holy cow the new Doctor Who moves fast, I really liked the pacing of the old serials I think this episode should have been a multi-parter (especially with the twist, shezus). I enjoyed the characters for the most part, I think the ending was a bit contrived (or at least it sped by too quickly).

What I DID like was all the callbacks to earlier episodes and ideas, tying so many Doctor Who eras together to me THAT was the best part of this episode.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

They didnt explain if the change was to just the ones in orbit or all of the. Maybe that change will be reset the moment the come in contact with others.

The twist was so heavily foreshadowed it was painful.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 07, 2012, 08:31:56 AM
They didnt explain if the change was to just the ones in orbit or all of the. Maybe that change will be reset the moment the come in contact with others.

The twist was so heavily foreshadowed it was painful.

Agreed, particularly with the camera work ;) but I will say nothing in case anyone else there hasn't seen it yet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Next episode will have dinosaurs.  It's on Saturday at 7pm on Space.

SPOILERS for the rest of the post

Yes she's cute but we knew that a couple of months ago.  I was surprised to see her as a Dalek, just because that's going to be very difficult to bring her in as a companion - unless he somehow saves her from her Dalek shell?

Darren, I think you were asking how they found and teleported Amy and Rory - they both have time-traveler particles in them that the Daleks can sense.  That stuff was explained in the episode where Rose accidentally touches a Dalek and he comes back to life.

I think it's an interesting concept to make all the Daleks forget about the Doctor.  This allows him to escape their ship, but it also sets up a chance for him to treat them differently than in the past.  The idea that they don't kill him because they find him so beautiful in his hatred of them, I dunno about that.  It's an interesting thought, but it undermines the idea that the Doctor escapes them through his smarts rather than just that they let him live.

Mr. A, I agree with the callbacks - I hope they keep that up for all the long-time Whovians who still watch.

What I hated about this episode was Amy and Rory being split up and Amy being a model, for some damn reason!  I mean really, she was introduced as doing strip-o-grams to pay the bills but realizing it was vapid work, then she went on these wonderful mind-expanding journeys, then she goes back to even more vapid work?  Really?

But the kids and I are certainly looking forward to the next episodes - it's still one of the better shows out there (worst show?  I'm guessing Honey Boo Boo or 1 Girl 5 Gays).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Regarding the modelling there was some self awareness of that early on in the episode which I found amusing.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Amy's modeling was established way back in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closing_Time_%28Doctor_Who%29
QuoteAmy has become a minor celebrity, appearing in an ad for Petrichor perfume, with the tagline, "For the girl who's tired of waiting."

In the episode the Doctor avoids them and also sees the perfume ad.

Thorin

Well yeah, but "petrichor" was a code word and Amy was doing the ad so that the Doctor would see it, from what I remember from that episode.

I dunno, it rankled me more than the fact that the Daleks, upon encountering a strange unknown alien in their Parliament, didn't just shoot.  Which in and of itself was already weird.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful