Civilization Revolution

Started by Melbosa, August 25, 2008, 01:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So during my time off with injury, I was really bored after about 12 days strait of just TV.  As such, I finally decided I could play my 360, and thought why not try out some games.  Being summer holidays, there were very few to choose from, but I was able to try this one out.

Looks like it is for 360, PS3, PS2, NintendoDS.  I tried the 360 version as I said.

Addictive I'll tell you.  Brings back old turn based play (would have to be on a console I would imagine, to make it easier to play) - which was always a favorite genre for me, TBS (Turn Based Strategy), vs RTS.  It's a Sid Meier game, so you know it has at least some good potential.  If you have played Civilization games before you will be very familiar with this game.

You can pick from multiple starting races, each with it's own bonuses that really make sense from a historic perspective.  You advance through time starting at 4000BC all they way to 2100AD or when a certain end game condition is met (Domination, Economic, Cultural, or Technology Victory).  You lead the civilization, being the historical figure for each race (Lincoln for Americans, Gandhi for Indians, Catherine the Great for Russians, etc), and making decisions on city building, democracy, armies, war, settling, technology advancements, food, mining, forestry, etc.  Your basic Earth History based RTS in a TBS format on a console.  It is the TBS, and simplicity at which it plays out that made it really fun for me.  And the difficulties were well made, making each step tech you enough to have a chance at the next difficulty.  First Strategy game in a long time on any system (PC or Console) that I was able to beat it on the hardest difficulty level at each end game condition - but yet not easy to do either.

If you want to see what makes a Strategy game work on a console, I suggest you check this one out.  Worth the time in my books.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Too bad this isn't on the PC (at least as far as I can see) :(
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Duuuuuuuuuude sweet.

I'm not a big Civ player but I've got the itch...
By Grabthar's Hammer