Vizio M502i-B1 50" SmartTV

Started by Lazybones, November 24, 2014, 10:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on November 25, 2014, 10:16:05 AM
Interesting info: http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-refresh-rate.  Go through the four pages and find out how much the refresh rates listed on tvs is just marketing doublespeak.

Dang.

Because the 3 times in the past 6 months I wandered through Future Shop tv aisle, the 200Hz (240?) screens really caught my attention, they seemed so crisp and vivid that I kinda made a decision my next TV will definitely not be a 120. So now I wonder if not all 200 screens are the same...

PS: great video comparing Soap Opera Effect OFF vs ON: http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-soap-opera-effect-on-tvs

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

The best way to find out is to bring a demo disc of your own (a favourite film or whatever)

Have the sales person go through different display modes.

It also has to be said that some TVs have a "floor display" preset that will use maximum brightness, saturate colour and optimize the framerate for the source video. Often what you see in the store is like this and meant to be like this given the lighting conditions and media source (which unless you live in a box store are different in your living room)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

My samsung is a "240hz" unit, but it just uses fancy frame duplication and interpolation.

Also, motion blur is inherently built into lower framerate footage, you expect it to be there, so when a device removes it by doing fancy interpolation, it looks "wrong".
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 25, 2014, 05:39:26 PM
unless you live in a box store

That would be awesome.  Then I could play with the boxes all day long!  I'd probably end up building a transmogrifier factory.  Dammit, I want to read a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes now!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 26, 2014, 04:03:50 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 25, 2014, 05:39:26 PM
unless you live in a box store

That would be awesome.  Then I could play with the boxes all day long!  I'd probably end up building a transmogrifier factory.  Dammit, I want to read a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes now!

Scientific progress goes "Boink"!

hahaha
By Grabthar's Hammer