Main Menu

1.8 is out

Started by LennyLen, September 03, 2014, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Well, we'll see what happens. If bukkit/spigot isn't updated somewhat soon, we'll just have to dump it. But that might mean faster update rates :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

If we return to vanilla, what functionality do we lose that's commonly used?

I'm thinking the /spawn /home /back commands are the most commonly used.

How about white listing, is that supported in vanilla MC?

And turning off mob griefing so the creepers don't blow up our builds, that's in vanilla, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 05, 2014, 09:32:44 PM
If we return to vanilla, what functionality do we lose that's commonly used?

I'm thinking the /spawn /home /back commands are the most commonly used.

How about white listing, is that supported in vanilla MC?

And turning off mob griefing so the creepers don't blow up our builds, that's in vanilla, right?
Essentially all we lose now is the warp commands. There used to be other things... Oh, that live map thing we'd lose too. its a bukkit plugin.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on September 05, 2014, 11:15:55 PM
What live map?
I thought you were one of the ones that used it the most :o iirc its called dynmap.

Thorin

Oh, dynmap.  I thought that stopped working when you moved things to DO servers.  I haven't used it in a coon's age.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Well at least we could get up to 1.7.10
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Speaking of 1.8 have you guys tried it out yet? So many new thingsss
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I haven't yet, but I've heard the final release is more laggy than normal :( even though the snapshots were less laggy and faster (much faster) than any version to date. It's odd really.

I did start trying to play Agrarian Skies yesterday. I might continue... But holy grind batman.

Mr. Analog

Yeah no kidding! I've been following a couple YouTuber's journey through it and man once you get past the initial rewards you hit the wall hard

Make 20,000 toast

<Heavy Weapons Guy> NO!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 08, 2014, 02:07:29 PM
Yeah no kidding! I've been following a couple YouTuber's journey through it and man once you get past the initial rewards you hit the wall hard

Make 20,000 toast

<Heavy Weapons Guy> NO!
Ah, but by those, you better have an me system up and running or something. I'm at the very beginning working on fn string. And even that is a nasty grind. cause you need to get trees infected, and the leaves have been nerfed since people recorded those playthroughs... I got like 4 silk from a single large tree. and it takes 9 silk for a string. lol.

One of the "for the lawls" challenges is something like 8 octo compressed cobble. That's like tens of millions of actual cobble. One dude set up what he called a "Lag spine" to generate cobble. when ever he warped there, the game got significantly more laggy. lol. huge tower of cobble gens.

Mr. Analog

Yeah, as you progress through the challenges the curve goes up dramatically and you end up mostly tinkering with automation and setting up complex workflows to meet the target goals, even with multiple players it takes a while to get through it

I do like what some of the mods bring though, especially when playing a modpack like Yogscast Complete you can make stuff that can sometimes be a pain in the butt to find in the world (like clay!), then take it to the next level with Mekanism / Applied Energistics to automate the process.

I think back to my solar panel factory in FTB and now I could do it with Factory blocks, ME Computer, Pattern Encoder, etc. I could manufacture almost all the components needed and automate the crafting AND set it up so it was on demand. It's amazing how far some of these mods have come
By Grabthar's Hammer

LennyLen

I've played a little bit of 1.8. 

The new enchanting system is a definite improvement, and now there's finally a use for lapis lazuli. The new Villager trading system is better as well.  I haven't done any large construction projects yet, but I can see the new stone types being useful for variety.  Different types of fences and gates has been useful as well. I've been using dark brown oak fences with lighter birch gates so it's easier to see where the gates are.

I haven't really come across an other new stuff yet, except for rabbits, which have only dropped raw meat for me so far.

I have experienced a lot more graphical glitches than in the last few versions.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer