Main Menu

Teleport Huts

Started by Thorin, December 05, 2012, 10:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So I've built a couple of teleport huts and a central hub for them to connect to, screenshots are attached.  I've made sure to arrange them in such a way that when you teleport you don't have to turn to keep moving - if you walk up to the hut going south, then you exit Grand Central going south.

The huts are pretty primitive still, but the command blocks are hidden at least.  I imagine that Grand Central will get turned into a proper building at some point, and I'm thinking of either a cobblestone wall or iron bars or both around the teleport huts to protect the newly-teleported from THOSE DAMN CREEPERS.

Sadly I could not do this all in Survival, to set the teleport command on the command block required me to be in Creative mode.  I tried as much as possible to remember to switch back to Survival, though.  Anyway, give it a try.  Grand Central is here: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-15/64/40/max/0/0 and http://tomasu.org:8123/?worldname=righteouswrath&mapname=flat&zoom=6&x=-15&y=64&z=40.  I suppose it could use a path to meet up with the rest of the buildings at spawn...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

VERY COOL work, you should make sure to document the co-ordinates for each location.

I'll start clearing an area.

Now for Teleport Central what do you guys want it to look like? We have a nice big area going on there.

I could model it after Grand Central Terminal and I could add a subway station connection, or I could go for some kind of googie airport design.

I'll be careful not to dig down in case Melbosa's stuff is there.

(also I really should have played last night, things did not go as planned ugh)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Grand Central Station would be kewl indeed!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Almighty, I'll start finding architectural drawings and start marking areas for scale and design something compatible.

I will build a small structure around the current co-ordinates and ensure that there is a safe path that connects to the Spawn area

I will need bricks, smooth stone, windows and wood. Drop them off in the Community Storage (if you can't let me know, I'll add a construction storage area)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

How many stacks do you think you need of each?

I like the big sweeping architecture of Grand Central Station, although we don't need to make the underground platforms...  We'll just make teleport stations like what we have there already.  I hope I left enough room for a decent-sized building?  What I'm imagining is a big open hall with teleport stations on the walls facing into the big open hall.  For now there are only two teleport stations, but at some point I can imagine four to eight on each wall.  Each teleport station is three blocks wide, three blocks deep, four blocks high, if that helps with planning how big to make this?  I'm thinking of a building that is about 40 blocks by 26 blocks, maybe 30 blocks tall?  The teleport stations would be along the 40 block walls, so the interior after taking away the teleport stations would be 38x20.  Dunno if that's big enough to really give that sense of Big Building...

The floor needs some kind of coloured pattern, I think.  And we can do a golden archway over the main door (I have a lot of gold...).  And we should put some potted plants in there, and frames with items, just because we can :)

The more I think about this, the more I wonder just how much we really need to copy from Grand Central, though.  I mean, the big open area is a great idea, but I don't think we need to add clocks and information booths and stores and meeting rooms and all that kind of stuff, do we?

Ooh, lava-under-glass lighting, or redstone lamps, or something different than torches would be cool!  Damn, I wanna go mining!

I'll update the signs with coordinates and mark them so they show up on the Overviewer.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Given that we can put clocks in frames I'd like to add features like that, it just makes an epic cool build.

Again, I'll look at plans get a sense of scale, mark an area and start constructing the exterior.

Once we figure out how things look the rest becomes easier.

As well for additional teleporters we can always expand into the ground.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Oh, clocks in frames, great idea!

But yeah, first thing is to figure out just how big to build this thing.

Is there anywhere else that the Grand Porter Co should build regional Tele-PortalsTM?  I'm thinking one down in South Leenton (http://mc.tomasu.org/#/116/64/1619/-1/0/0) and Freeport (http://mc.tomasu.org/#/2568/64/-442/-3/0/0) and Lennyton (http://mc.tomasu.org/#/9768/64/1716/-1/0/0)?

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'll sort it out, don't worry.

Just make sure there's lots of smooth stone and stone bricks
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

stone bricks not red bricks, right?  I'm using the red bricks for the Tele-Portals, simply because they stand out so nicely.

I'm going to put a nether portal in a small basement room at Grand Central next time I'm on, just to connect all the transportation corridors together :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah, stone brick works I think. We can figure out decorations later.

I like the idea of a nether portal but it may be in conflict with other pre-existing ones.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Yeah it might be too close to someone elses....

Thorin

I would perfect-match the coordinates and then go hunting around to see if anyone else's is nearby.  If someone else's is nearby and not perfect-matched, I would move theirs in the Nether so they are perfect-matched.  I don't think that's too much to ask, that portals get perfect-matched?  I'm even willing to do the work myself, just it might mean someone's portal in the Nether gets moved a few blocks over...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

No touchy-touchy my portal lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

If you do the work, go right ahead and rip out anything of mine you deem needs moved.

Mr. Analog

It's west of my house near spawn, I thought it was east at first.

Not sure what's down there, will have to do a survey.
By Grabthar's Hammer