a weird show that actually got made

Started by Thorin, January 07, 2015, 11:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

The show is called "Galavant".

The description is "a musical comedy about a medieval hero named Galavant who's fallen on hard times after losing the love of his life, Madalena, to the evil king Richard".

Yes, a musical fantasy comedy.

I don't know how this got through.  And yet, I can't stop watching...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Actual... creativity? On TV?

I'm confuse
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I watched some of these last night.  And I laughed.  Its like a clash between Mel Brooks and Monty Python movies.  Don't spoil it for me... I have to get to the Weird Al one yet!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

OK I saw all the way up to the Dungeons & Dragon Lady episode.  My wife of all people is enjoying this show which usually isn't her genre or time period of choice.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on January 20, 2015, 02:33:16 PM
I watched some of these last night.  And I laughed.  Its like a clash between Mel Brooks and Monty Python movies.  Don't spoil it for me... I have to get to the Weird Al one yet!

[slightly OT]

Speaking of weirdness that was permitted to go past 1 season: this week I sat down and decided to click "Play" on Netflix for the first ep of "Portlandia". I finally went to bed after episode #5. For the most part I realize its addicitiveness is due to it having a vibe reminiscient of Kids In The Hall at their most absurd -- perfectly combined with the repeated-character driven tight pacing/editing of Key & Peele at their best.

A while back I had of course heard of the show, but since Fred Armison wasn't a big standout on SNL I just had no expectation that I would enjoy it as much as I have. But also at times it's extremely uncomfortable viewing, not because it's offensive or stupid (Tim & Eric later years, I'm looking at you!) but because it is so often creative situations with the awkwardness or absurdity level cranked up to 11 but done so perfectly well. I will never look at dumpsters the same way again, for example. (Only 38 episodes to go! Trying hard not to binge-watch this ... ditto for House of Cards 2nd season, disciplining myself to limit to 2 or 3 eps at a time...)

[/slightly OT]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Well the show is back. They got renewed for a second season. Seem to be doing two episodes a night.  Supposedly they have a bigger budget now as well.

I laughed so hard at the cook in the first two episodes this season that I almost threw up.

Melbosa

Well it only lasted two seasons, but I truly enjoyed and loved both!

Mr. Analog

So weird but so good

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 29, 2015, 08:52:51 AM
It's on my "to-watch" list yeah!

IIRC Portlandia expired from Netflix Canada :(

Thorin

I dunno if he was talking about Portlandia, he might've been talking about Galavant.

Also, "expired from Netflix" sucks, that's why people still download and save shows that they like.  Someday the tv showmakers will figure this out...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

He discussion about G had died down and then I posted a reply about weird quirky shows one being P. And IIRC that is what Mr. A had responded to.

PS speaking of quirky comedies just noticed today that there's a new season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine on NF! :) :)

Mr. Analog

Neat

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Darren Dirt

"You never handed me the [BLEEP] amulet."

ROFLMAO

Binging it now. Started about 3 hours ago :-D

Melbosa

I spit it my drink on that one. I totally never saw it coming

Darren Dirt

Yeah, no joke I literally hit pause and did the Goodfellas Laughing Gif. Alone.