Another reason websites can't be browser specific

Started by Melbosa, February 23, 2006, 01:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/internetexplorer/internetexplorer.aspx?pid=internetexplorer

QuoteINTERNET EXPLORER FOR MAC NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD

In June 2003, the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit announced that Internet Explorer for Mac would undergo no further development, and support would cease in 2005. In accordance with published support lifecycle policies, Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31st, 2005, and is not providing any further security or performance updates.

Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari.  

Last Updated: January 31, 2006

So this is a surprise to me, but hey M$ does what M$ does.  So yeah, if you have apps that rely on IE specific functionality/controls, you just removed your Mac clients from your site.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

To be fair, IE for Mac was fairly crippled (most of the useful DOM stuff wasn't supported, etc, etc).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Melbosa"So yeah, if you have apps that rely on IE specific functionality/controls, you just removed your Mac clients from your site.

The impact of this would be extremely low.

1. Those that make IE only content for profit mostly do so for corporate use. Hence an even lower than ususal number of MAC users.

2. When you make IE only content that ususaly includes ActiveX, and I don't think that was supported on the mac version to begin with.

3. Safari is by far the best browser on the Mac, followed by Firefox.. MS would have a VERY hard time competing on the platform.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"
Quote from: "Melbosa"So yeah, if you have apps that rely on IE specific functionality/controls, you just removed your Mac clients from your site.

The impact of this would be extremely low.

1. Those that make IE only content for profit mostly do so for corporate use. Hence an even lower than ususal number of MAC users.

2. When you make IE only content that ususaly includes ActiveX, and I don't think that was supported on the mac version to begin with.

3. Safari is by far the best browser on the Mac, followed by Firefox.. MS would have a VERY hard time competing on the platform.

Agreed on all counts (my brother can vouch for #3).

And if anyone still wants to grab it, I'm sure the browser archive at "evolt.org" will keep a dozen versions available forever...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.