Main Menu

not dead

Started by Darren Dirt, June 04, 2011, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 24, 2014, 03:24:18 PM
Yep, sad to see him go that's for sure...

From SCTV to Stripes to Ghostbusters to Groundhog Day and so many more films... he will be missed as an actor, comedian, writer...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/24/harold-ramis-sctv-video/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Moe Green is SDailing for DollarS in heaven now I guess

man...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

One tribute nicely articulated what earned Ramis an enduring respect in a tough field: he was one of those "who cultivate an inner calm while others are dropping around them" -- once he figured out and accepted that on-screen he could never compete with the outpouring of superhuman insanity in the performances of Murray or Belushi or Aykroyd etc, only then could his true genius rise to the surface and bless us all!

"Ramis had learned from Ivan Reitman (the director of Meatballs, Stripes, and Ghostbusters, all of which he co-wrote) to cast clown princes and let them find their own rhythm ...  Ramis kept himself centered so that others could bounce off the walls." well-articulated!

And the article finishes off with what might make a great inscription for his gravestone: a man who will forever be known for "devising parables that expressed his more innate belief: that the world was absurd and cruel and ridiculous"  :)

Darren Dirt

buncha funny people shared serious tributes @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26337865

Colbert summed up the impact of Ramis as simple "He Made Your Life Better" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/25/colbert-tribute-harold-ramis_n_4854243.html

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 04, 2011, 08:24:33 PM
Mickey Rooney 90

http://collider.com/mickey-rooney-dead/ at 93 "natural causes".

Looking at the picture near the middle @ http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/mickey-rooney-hollywood-legend-dead-at-93-1.2600540 I would say he lived a full life but was likely in rough physical shape after a century of almost entirely living in the spotlight...

Why he stands out among the greats from the Golden Age: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1725582/mickey-rooney-dead-at-93-heres-6-things-should-know-about-hollywood-legend.jhtml

Mr. Analog

Rik Mayall passed away today at the age of 56

His off the wall comedy will be missed by me, that's for sure...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 09, 2014, 11:14:41 PM

I saw that on the telescreen in Southgate mall and actually felt a bit of a kick in the gut. That guy had no fear of coming across as The Most Annoying Man In The World (and often was in competition vs Adrian Edmondson!

Now I have a hankering to watch Drop Dead Fred... and never even seen it.

Oops. I just realized mentioning that film title might come across as being-in-bad-taste.

But wait, that's the style of humour that Rik was a genius in and helped push forward. So ... we will miss you ya English Basterd! Such a pity to die so Young...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 11, 2014, 12:57:18 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 09, 2014, 11:14:41 PM

I saw that on the telescreen in Southgate mall and actually felt a bit of a kick in the gut. That guy had no fear of coming across as The Most Annoying Man In The World (and often was in competition vs Adrian Edmondson!

Now I have a hankering to watch Drop Dead Fred... and never even seen it.

Oops. I just realized mentioning that film title might come across as being-in-bad-taste.

But wait, that's the style of humour that Rik was a genius in and helped push forward. So ... we will miss you ya English Basterd! Such a pity to die so Young...

Agreed on so many points
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Mr. Analog

So much goodness!

I know I'm going to have a Young Ones marathon soon to remember the goodness (I'll probably end up watching Bottom again too)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 12, 2014, 10:30:25 AM
So much goodness!

I know I'm going to have a Young Ones marathon soon to remember the goodness (I'll probably end up watching Bottom again too)

Loved Young Ones back in university, but i remember finding Bottom latter and thinking weird it's so less known cause it's great.

And as an aside, boo BBC not blu-raying these older classics.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mags on June 12, 2014, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 12, 2014, 10:30:25 AM
So much goodness!

Loved Young Ones back in university, but i remember finding Bottom latter and thinking weird it's so less known cause it's great.

And as an aside, boo BBC not blu-raying these older classics.

My first experience was seeing it after Doctor Who on PBS, so it would be about ! AM or so depending on how many episodes of a serial they would run went and then this weird show I'd never seen popped up out of nowhere and I was hooked. Later I think ACCESS picked it up as a late nite replacement too so I had something weird to watch after a bunch of drinks on Friday nights (after the Peter Hill Show of course!)

Yeah, they finally start releasing decent BOXES of things and don't to the next step. Mind you a lot of BBC stuff is on tape so it may just look like ass forever anyway (sadly)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

My first ... exposure ... to TYO was thanks to Mr. A!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 12, 2014, 11:43:10 AM
My first ... exposure ... to TYO was thanks to Mr. A!

Bottom is quite good as well, the humor is slapstick on the surface but extremely deep after a few viewings.

I think the layers is what makes it for me, a lot of Rik and Adrian's work has a lot of subtlety hidden in between rude jokes and pratfalls. It surprises you when you first start to get what they're really trying to say with some things.

Comedy is one of those mediums where it's way too easy to beat someone over the head with social commentary (and there's nothing wrong with that) but when you've seen the same antics a few times and realize there's actually a message there, well mind = blown

Then again there's a lot of funny stuff for fun's sake without trying to be witty and without being cynical and that's something desperately missing from a lot of humor!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

So I guess it's essentially official, during his routine morning jog his heart didn't handle it too well. :(

But on the bright side, if his increasingly vocal fans have their way he might have a posthumous hit on the way up the music charts: http://www.google.com/search?q=Noble+England+Rik+Mayall&tbm=nws