Railroad Stations

Started by Thorin, April 15, 2012, 01:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am sure if Tom checked the logs for people dieing from lava it would be easy to figure out.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on May 09, 2012, 03:47:48 PM
I am sure if Tom checked the logs for people dieing from lava it would be easy to figure out.
I see nothing obvious.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Wow, that's a really tall building covered in lava!

There's also a large pyramid in the Gaddrian Desert now: http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-371/64/458/-1/0/0
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Okay, so here's that flat spur station.

Dig a hole 3 x 8, 3 blocks deep.  Then follow the screenshots from 1 to 6, filling back in.  You will end up with a side station where the cart comes in, sits for a couple seconds, then continues on.  There is a nice compact empty cart detector; if the cart is empty it will be sent out an exit to the right.  If the cart is full, it will continue along the main path.

This works perfectly in single player.  I'm going to be trying it in multiplayer soon, hopefully it works there, too.

I was having trouble putting in a horizontal dispenser that looked nice and at the same time wasn't so close to the station that the redstone interfered with each other.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

So how's it work?

Furthermore...

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on May 10, 2012, 12:49:41 AM
I was having trouble putting in a horizontal dispenser that looked nice and at the same time wasn't so close to the station that the redstone interfered with each other.
Use a lot of repeaters?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Or build a vertical one under ground and have a little utility wood shack over top for style.

Thorin

Quote from: Thorin on May 10, 2012, 12:49:41 AM

Quote from: Lazybones on May 10, 2012, 09:17:53 AM
Or build a vertical one under ground and have a little utility wood shack over top for style.

Yeah, I could go vertical, but then it wouldn't be horizontal :P  But yeah, I was looking at how to build a proper vertical pez dispenser last night, and trying to figure out how to run the redstone for the button up cleanly.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I am not aware of any horizontal designs that would not look odd. I saw one that used water once but I am not sure it works in the current release.

Even the vertical pez sometimes fails due to lag .

Thorin

So do you find you need access to the vertical pez to correct it?

I wonder if your definition of "odd" is different than mine in this case.  For instance, I was trying out this horizontal dispenser to see if I could put it under a layer of glass so you can see it work.  It doesn't take all that much resources, either, compared to some of the giant NOR-latched designs: http://youtu.be/_-eWvfnAmys

And just trying to find that link back, I found this other one I've never seen before: http://youtu.be/GIJPeewRwxQ.  In this one the carts are constantly moving back and forth.  I wonder if that'll have problems in SMP.

I also found this video about weird minecart physics on curved track: http://youtu.be/DycTzK8VGkE
And this video with a surprise twist on the minecart track: http://youtu.be/mrvHzgGgNcw
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

I had not seen ether of those designs before, I might actually alter beach station to test the zig zag one.... Not really that hard to install underground... Also you could probably put those in a nice long building that looked like part of the station....

The one I had seen before involved dumping carts into a long pool of running water....

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on May 11, 2012, 01:40:32 PM
I had not seen ether of those designs befor

w00t, I found something you hadn't seen yet :)  The second design with the carts constantly moving back and forth did end up with doubled-carts (where two carts occupy the same physical space) a few times.  I'd seen another really neat one and even tried it out in creative single player, but can't find the video for it now :(
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on May 11, 2012, 03:05:09 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on May 11, 2012, 01:40:32 PM
I had not seen ether of those designs befor

w00t, I found something you hadn't seen yet :)  The second design with the carts constantly moving back and forth did end up with doubled-carts (where two carts occupy the same physical space) a few times.  I'd seen another really neat one and even tried it out in creative single player, but can't find the video for it now :(

Reliability in SMP is hard, the zig-zag looks promising since the track is always powered and the cart orientation is staggered. It might be more reliable than my current pez based one, because of the fact there is no gravity or twisting, just flat track logic.

Thorin

How many carts do you usually aim to hold in your dispenser?  The zig-zag one is always odd numbers - 3, 5, 7, etc.  I think 5 is plenty.  The more carts you try to store, the wider it gets, that's why I was trying to put it down a couple of levels under glass.

The sticky-piston-pushing-block-over-slab horizontal one isn't as wide (three blocks) but as I said I did end up with merged carts a couple of times.

I'm still trying to perfect the build so that I can draw it out and get an exact materials list.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful