TeamSpeak Server?

Started by Mr. Analog, April 30, 2014, 10:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like a TeamSpeak server set up for in-game communication?

Yes
1 (25%)
No
0 (0%)
Pancakes
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Mr. Analog

I've started to play around with TeamSpeak again after so long, overall I'm impressed with TeamSpeak 3 and it looks like it's fairly easy to set up.

I can get a non-profit license that will allow up to 30 users per server and up to 10 servers, which I think would be more than enough for us. We could have different channels for the multiplayer games we play.

Thoughts?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Could do, is there a lunix client?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Then sure :) sounds like a good idea.

Tom

I voted for pancakes because I like pancakes, but it also means yes.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on April 30, 2014, 11:26:04 AM
I voted for pancakes because I like pancakes, but it also means yes.

Haha I figured :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I was thinking Skype since group chat was released but TeamSpeak is handy as well.

Lazybones

Does Team speak have a URL handler of any kind?

Ideally we would have something where when you joint the server it presents you with a click-able URL that starts the client and joins you to the channel for the server.

Tom

Oh hey, I could add the TS url to the server MOTD if that sort of thing works.

Thorin

Pancakes are good, indeed - my vote is Yes, Pancakes.

Dunno how much I'll use TeamSpeak as I only play Minecraft with you guys.  Seems to work alright for D&D, although it has horrible echoing so a headset is a must.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 30, 2014, 11:58:53 AM
Does Team speak have a URL handler of any kind?

Ideally we would have something where when you joint the server it presents you with a click-able URL that starts the client and joins you to the channel for the server.

I think it does because the D&D group we play in gave us a link with password that added us to the lobby channel of their server. I'll have to do some reading, but that would be really cool I think

From there you can bookmark your server / channel. That would be really cool for anybody on the Minecraft server!

And yeah, headsets are probably the preferred way of doing things.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

UPDATE: Non-Profit Licenses are currently unavailable

so if you were wondering what was up now you know
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Due to the change in the non-profit license policy I won't be doing this any time soon

IF I had a domain set up with working e-mail and a static IP this would be no problem
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It wouldn't take too much to throw a domain up on a vm some place. And I think MS started handing out static ips recently on their cloud... Too bad you can't get the free gapps anymore.

I could host email on my email server, but I dislike being other people's sysadmin ;)

Mr. Analog

Prior to their recent licensing changes they didn't specify static IP and since I don't know what kind of bandwidth to expect I'm not sure how much I'd be paying for a VM (not to mention another Windows license)

Since I just bought a computer and am looking at buying new furniture for my home office I'm going to hold off buying into something I'm just not sure would even get that much use.

Worst case scenario before I started looking into this was leaving a machine on all the time hosting a TS3 Server and maybe getting a new router, but now that i have to go a bit further out of pocket for it, well GTalk doesn't look so bad anymore
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I wouldnt have figured Azure would make you pay for a license separately. thats kinda dumb.

Mr. Analog

From earlier reading it was suggested that I install Windows to run TS3 (plus other services)

But I'm finding now that others have set it up:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/db18389c-55f7-4258-b4b2-31021b76b476/setting-up-teamspeak3-on-azure-virtual-machine?forum=WAVirtualMachinesforWindows

I may look into this a bit more first. Again, the thing is, I wanted to do this as free as possible because I'm just not sure how many people would actually use it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 15, 2014, 12:00:25 PM
Prior to their recent licensing changes they didn't specify static IP and since I don't know what kind of bandwidth to expect I'm not sure how much I'd be paying for a VM (not to mention another Windows license)

Quote from: Tom on May 15, 2014, 12:05:33 PM
I wouldnt have figured Azure would make you pay for a license separately. thats kinda dumb.

Info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721672

From Article:
QuoteAll Microsoft software that is installed in the Windows Azure virtual machine environment must be licensed correctly. By default, Windows Azure virtual machines  include a license for using Windows Server in the Windows Azure environment. Certain Windows Azure virtual machine offerings may also include additional Microsoft software on a per-hour or evaluation basis.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!