PS3 controllers batteries not user replacable

Started by Lazybones, October 20, 2006, 01:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20528

Not sure about Lithium Polymer but I know Lithium Ion only last about 2 years before degrading.

I guess this isn't much different than the iPod battery problems.

Note they don't mention if the replacement service will have a fee.

Mr. Analog

I'm sure there will be 3rd party controllers available, still kinda dumb if you ask me, but hey IT'S A SONY...  :barf:
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Sony confirmed that they will replace the controller free.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on October 20, 2006, 01:20:59 PM
Sony confirmed that they will replace the controller free.

One article said it was going to be free, but it wasn't a quote from Sony, unless you know of a quote?

Shayne

QuoteSony feels for you starving gamers, so even though the party line is that "it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance," a spokesperson confirmed to Gamesindustry.biz that "we will be providing a service to exchange these items."

I guess it doesn't say free.  Probably a discount on the next one?  Who knows, the rss title was "SIXAXIS batteries not swappable, but Sony will replace controllers for free", i didnt really read it.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on October 20, 2006, 03:04:16 PM
QuoteSony feels for you starving gamers, so even though the party line is that "it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance," a spokesperson confirmed to Gamesindustry.biz that "we will be providing a service to exchange these items."

I guess it doesn't say free.  Probably a discount on the next one?  Who knows, the rss title was "SIXAXIS batteries not swappable, but Sony will replace controllers for free", i didnt really read it.

Ya, thats why my comment was specific. The writer jumps to the conclusion but his quote does not support it. The Sony response leaves it open to it to be a chargeable service.

Cova

Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer are pretty much the same, but the polymer one is 'plasticy' and can be molded into any shape of battery.  The polymer ones still have about a 3-year max lifespan before the lithium oxidises.

Tom

Polymer batteries are also highly flamable :) They seem to be very sensitive to overcharging and over draining. Not a very stable battery imo.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

That'd just be icing on the cake, if Sony had to recall their PS3 controllers because they tend to explode in flames...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

TheDruid

Reason #47 why i will not be purchasing this Sony POS of a system (don't ask what the other 46 resons are)
I only drink the blood of my enemies, and on occasion a strawberry smoothie.

Shayne

Wireless headset for the 360's batteries are not replaceable.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on November 05, 2006, 04:31:20 PM
Wireless headset for the 360's batteries are not replaceable.
The need for a wireless headset on the 360 is questionable considering the wired headset connects to the wireless controller anyway.

PA does it again
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/03

Shayne

Ya, Adams pointed that out to me on Friday, regardless, I scored the headset.  Far more comfortable then the current wired version.

TheDruid

The idea of a wireless headset with an already wireless controller is a little FUBAR.

I could see the need with future control devices that might not be so strait forward to plug a head set into. Like the guitar controller for guitar hero... although i cant imagine why you would be chatting with someone while playing GH being a party game and all. Maybe a future FPS mouse type control would make benefit of it?

Batteries aint really a problem with xbox gear IMO, the only time its a problem is when my controller dies after 20 hrs of play, only to pick up my second controller to realize i never did charge it either *smacks head*. No big deal though if you have the play-n-charge kit. Just got to play it old school for a few hrs.

Shayne

Oh ya, the Guitar Hero controller WILL NOT be wireless for the 360.

The key reason why i grabbed the wireless headset is because my black cat feels the need to eat the cord on the wired.  She doesn't eat any other cables in the entire place, but attacks that one (maybe because when i wear it she thinks its a toy?), it just became cheaper to buy the wireless then to replace the wired if i forget to put it away and hide it.

Another reason is that when my bro comes over and we do some online xboxing its nice to have both of us online chatting.

Tom

I'd personally hate to have my head teathered to the controller, even if the controller itself isn't wired.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

TheDruid

Yeah, i heard about the GH controller being wired too. But there’s a little part of me that still hopes, maybe announced at the last minute. I could see batteries being an issue... well maybe, i guess its all still digital inputs, just create a slot on the back for a battery pack, but might make manufacturing a little difficult (or cost slightly more) being different from Sony. Really, the control just begs to be wireless, and rumble too, like when you play a rocking bass note and your guitar vibrates with the sound.

Shayne

Well, its not really the choice of the company doing the controller, its up to microsoft, as they dont want to release the wired protocol to 3rd parties i guess.  Their is a story on Engadget i believe about it.

Though I agree, its on my "must have list" for the 360, but it not being wireless is a kick in the groin :P  its the wireless generation!

Thorin

Quote from: TheDruid on November 06, 2006, 12:19:15 PM
The idea of a wireless headset with an already wireless controller is a little FUBAR.

Not really any weirder than a cordless earbug for your cordless cell phone, neh?  Wireless seems to be the way to go, these days.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Shayne

Good point there Thorin, didnt think about it that way.

Adams

Just imagine the amount of radio waves going though your body... 1 wireless controller, 1 wireless headset, 1 wireless phone, 1 cell phone, 1 wireless router... damn your glowing :D. I cannot say I am much better.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

TheDruid

Quote from: Adams on November 07, 2006, 12:35:36 PM
Just imagine the amount of radio waves going though your body... 1 wireless controller, 1 wireless headset, 1 wireless phone, 1 cell phone, 1 wireless router... damn your glowing :D. I cannot say I am much better.

Ha it dont end there when you consider all the other EMF waves from television, radio, telecom etc.

Thorin

Hah, our atmosphere is so full of RF already, that little earbug won't make much of a difference.  Now, if it was gamma radiation I wouldn't be quite so cavalier about it.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Adams

I know, I know. :D I think if EMF gives us cancer then we are truly screwed.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."