Wii First impressions

Started by Lazybones, November 21, 2006, 11:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

You say that you COULD but the sensor bar UNDER the tv, but CAN you put the bar under the TV?  on top of my TV is my center channel speaker (no room for the bar there) but I do have room at the bottom

Lazybones

It can be mounted above or below your display, there is a setting in the software so you can tell it. It is best to have it as close to the actual display area of the screen as possible and have it centered with the display.

Here are some photo's to give you an idea how tiny it is. There is a quarter on top of it in one of the shots to help with scale.

Shayne

Thanks, that makes things a little easier, still will have to go on the bottom, but it will forsurely fit.

Darren Dirt

G4 "X-Play" has reviewed Red Steel and overall seemed to really like the uniqueness of the controls, but was disappointed by its lack of novelty in the level design and related features. I'm sure they just wanted to make sure the gyro interface was bang-on and so future FPS developers will spend more time on the game contents.

Here's a few other Wii game reviews...

From X-Play:
- CoD3

And a few from IGN...
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion "more than just a Wii-make; incredibly entertaining"
- Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz ("Editor's Choice Award winner") -- with FIFTY mini-games(!) (*really* takes advantage of the new controls: "playing with the remote feels great")

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 24, 2006, 10:13:11 AM
Every Super Monkey Ball game I have purchased or rented has been an enduring crowd-pleaser for my 10 8 and 5 year old, and is fun/challenging enough for me to enter the fray regularly. From the description of the new Wii SMB game, I'm mos def planning on that (along with Mario, natch) when I get the system in the spring... Can't wait to see some of the mini-game/challenges they threw in this time!

Sounds like Sega did not disappoint! Totally gonna get Monkey Ball with my system in the spring... 8)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

Watch the Gamespot version if you want the flipside http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttehkXF5MQ

"They dont feel better, or anymore realistic then the standard controls used in other first person shooters on consoles or the pc, these are just different"

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on December 14, 2006, 04:28:34 PM
Watch the Gamespot version if you want the flipside http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttehkXF5MQ

"They dont feel better, or anymore realistic then the standard controls used in other first person shooters on consoles or the pc, these are just different"

I would argue that the aiming with the wii mote is much more like using a mouse than the analog sticks on other consoles. From other reviews I i have read, Red Steel isn't very good, nor is the control in COD. However I find the control in Zelda spot on also I am surprised how well movements register in games like Rayman, which has you to a bunch of different movements, including some on rails shooting games.

Shayne

Which would make it...not unique (i thought it to be like a 3D mouse in a FPS originally)?

I watched a couple video reviews on CoD3 last night for the Wii and got the same impression that the controls become more of a burden when the don't register and you constantly become aware of what you are doing with the controls as opposed to being immersed in the game.  As companies like EA refine their Wii control API I'm sure that controls will become more refined and responsive (or perhaps it could be the Wiimote?).  I do also believe that Metroid will be the first FPS to "get it right".

I feel very much the need to post "the other side" on RW as I find it to be very Fox News like in its "fair and balanced" reporting of Wii related topics.

Lazybones

I would say the 3D mouse is spot on, and yes some times when the controls do not respond it is very noticeable.

However.... Since I have never seen you give evidence that you have played the Wii, how fair is your side? I appreciate the links to the other side however. Just remember that as much as many of use come off as Wii fan boys, you seem like an XBOX 360 fan boy as well.

Maybe I need have you over to try it out. It is not revolutionary , but I do find it fun and accessible. I still want a 360 as well, GOW, Assassins Creed and Mass effect have me drooling. However there seems to be a HUGE lack of any sort of party type game on the 360, and the Xbox only had Fusion Frenzy from what I recall and maybe some cart games.

Shayne

I will agree that I am an Xbox fanboy whole heartedly but there is also enough people here to stomp all over it that I'm sure it comes out rather balanced.

I've played a Wii a few times over at EB in the past 2 weeks, my brother and I had such fun playing Excite Truck on the weekend that I am willing to pony up the cash to buy a Wii if I can find one :(  That is unfortunately the only game I have played and it has led me to the only negative of statement about the Wii "the Wiimote is that it feels very small in my hands".  Controls for that game were very responsive and easy to learn and master (however i gotta say for a launch racing game (regardless if its arcade or not) PGR3 is better :P) the game itself might be a little shallow.

I have no doubt that it has awesome potential in a few key areas (sports being the biggest for me, a golf game with accurate controls would OWN me). They really need to get a game like Wii Sports online as well, playing at home with friends is cool and all, but playing online works so much better for me and my main playing partner (my brother)

Thorin

As far as the Wii Remote being small when holding it sideways for driving games, get the plastic steering wheel.  I'm sure it makes it a lot easier to hold (you pop the controller in the middle and it's a three-quarters wheel like in K.I.T.T.).

Yes, some of us are obviously Wii fans.  None of us have stated that we'd rather punch ourselves in the nuts till we bleed than buy a PS3 or Xbox360, though, in our sig or otherwise.  Me, I've played 360 and agree that the graphics are superb on a matched TV.  Then I look at the game list and try to imagine which of those I'd buy for my kids.  Then I look at the Wii list, and realize there's a lot more there.  Obviously, you don't have to worry about what your kids will play - the console is for you and your (soon-to-be) wife, and a 360 or even a PS3 makes sense.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Would that be internal bleeding? Cuz it would need to be a hella powerful punch to cause external bleeding :o

Seriously though, my kids apparently are gonna be lucky, as I am getting a Wii early in the new year, but sounds like their mommy is getting a 360. :o

I agree, Thorin, re. the selection of games for the Wii -- as a parent, it reminds me of why I got the GC instead of the XB ... and the new controls are just icing on the already-gonna-buy-it cake. (Actually, I'll admit that I would have just stayed with my GC if the Wii hadn't offered the new controls and/or the first few games using those new controls weren't impressing most reviewers.)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.