Games of November... Expensive Month :(

Started by Melbosa, October 31, 2007, 08:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So here is a link to release dates: http://www.gamespot.com/newthisweek.html

But thought I would share what I am looking forward to in November.

PC
Hellgate London
Gears of War
Unreal Tournament 3
Supreme Commander Forge Alliance
Empire Earth III
Fear Perseus Mandate
Crysis
Kane & Lynch
Time Shift

Assassin's Creed
Mass Effect
Army of Two (Delayed until 2008 maybe... although sites still listing it as released this month)
Time Shift
The Simpsons Game
Kane & Lynch

PS3
Haze

Anything catch you eye?

*EDIT: Added Hellgate
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

CowGirl

But Melbosa you forgot about the Wii... :o :P

Looks like lots of kids games are coming out before x-mas for the Wii.  Although these two caught my eye...

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/mariosonicattheolympicgames/index.html

and

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/gameparty/index.html
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Shayne

Only Mass Effect has me greatly excited but its end of the month if I recall.  Im taking a wait and see on Assassin's Creed but its on my list.  The rest of the 360 lineup isn't great, Haze might not be bad.  Anything on PC that might be interesting I'll just look for a torrent.

One thing I did notice is the amount of action/fps you listed.

Army of Two was infact delayed till 2008.  Gamespot lists March 4, 2008 as its new release date.

Melbosa

Quote from: Shayne on October 31, 2007, 08:49:22 AM
One thing I did notice is the amount of action/fps you listed.

Just one of those months...  FPS usually isn't my first choice of game.  Just so many decently looking ones coming this month.

Melbosa

Quote from: CowGirl on October 31, 2007, 08:44:02 AM

Because I don't own a Wii (well I have one at the moment but isn't mine) I don't really look at those releases.  Knew someone on these forums would point out some good ones coming for it though!

Shayne

Do collated review scores effect your product purchases?

Shayne

Also Hellgate London looks pretty damn awesome and Ive been following it for like 5(?) years.  A modern rebirth of Diablo 2.  Type of game that gets me super interested but paying fees for the total experience is a bummer.

Melbosa

Quote from: Shayne on October 31, 2007, 09:01:42 AM
Do collated review scores effect your product purchases?

Nope.  I read reviews, try out games, and then decide... well some I just buy like Halo 3.  For the most part I make up my mind, and play a bit of a game before actually buying.

Assassin's Creed is a prefect example of a game that needs to be tried before bought.  The reviews are all over the place, some claiming it to be very innovative and stunning, others say lacking at the game play level as they "automate" so much of the game that you almost sit back and just watch.  So a good test is to rent it and test it out before buying.  Or with PC games, download "demos" and test it out before buying.  One could say the same thing about 360 or PS3 games (demos I mean), but I find the demos don't do the game justice over 50% of the time, and renting is a better solution.

Shayne

The problem I have is the same problem I had last generation and I guess every generation is that games come out at such a high frequency so I can't possibly play them but the AAA titles that I am interested in seem to be spaced out just right that I can purchase games without hesitation.

For instance this marvelous stretch...  Bioshock -> Halo 3 -> Orange Box -> CoD4 -> Mass Effect  ... perfectly spaced for easy consumption.  I would absolutely love to go and rent and play every game I am remotely interested in but I haven't really felt bad about missing games I was at one point interested in.

Thorin

Quote from: CowGirl on October 31, 2007, 08:44:02 AM

Looks like lots of kids games are coming out before x-mas for the Wii.  Although these two caught my eye...

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/mariosonicattheolympicgames/index.html

and

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/gameparty/index.html

Holy cow, my wife is becoming a gamer who researches new games...  YAY!

As for games that caught my eye for the Wii (and that I'd like to rent and/or buy):
- Guitar Hero III (yeah, I know, this was a late October release)
- EA Playground
- Rockstar Table Tennis
- Tomb Raider: Anniversary
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- Link's Crossbow Training (if only to get the Wii Zapper seeing as how I don't know where to find the 2 In 1)
- Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
- Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games looks cool too!

Quote from: Shayne on October 31, 2007, 09:21:16 AM
The problem I have is [..] that games come out at such a high frequency [..] I can't possibly play them [all]

I hear ya.  I just listed nine games that I'd like to try.  Given that I don't have a lot of time for games, and that it takes me a year or more to finish some games, I doubt I'll buy more than one of them.  And that means I'll be buying a kid-friendly one.  But damn, having to pump the shotgun?  Having to shoulder the bazooka?  Having to throw the grenade?  Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 sounds like they've really paid attention to the control scheme!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Your right of course.  You just can't play them all, nor can you enjoy all of them if you did (well unless you quit your job/translated your life to just play video games).

I may list all those games above, but can tell you I will only really play 3 or 4.  Being interested in them, and playing them through is two different things for me.

CoD4 eh?  Yeah that is this month, but you know I've lost the flavour for the WWII games like that.  Just don't draw me in as they used to.

I can give you what I think will be the top ones from my list:

• UT3
  • GoW
  • Mass Effect

Will they hold my interest, I don't know... I was really hoping for Army of Two, but alas it has been delayed.  If Assassin's Creed's game play is sweet, I can see loosing hours in it.  UT3, because of my experiences with GoW on the 360, I think might be the best UT in years.

Meh, these are all speculation.  Have to wait and see when I get my hands on them.

Shayne

Ive lost the lust for WW2 games as well.  CoD 4 (modern combat) isnt WW2 ;)  Its also being done by Infinite Ward once again so its going to be solid gold.  The scripted sequences will be just like out of the movies.  Its got a very short single player but its multiplayer is supposed to be epic.

I did GoW twice (normal and hard difficulties (gotta get those achievements) about a year ago, no need to revisit.

UT3 does look @%&#ing great but with CoD4 and TF2 (how awesome is this game?!) taking up all my multiplayer time I just can't see myself jumping in on it.  Maybe if/when the 360 version hits shelves but by then it will probably be dead.

Melbosa

Oh really about CoD.  Didn't read much about it cause assumed it was just another WWII game.  Might have to check it out then.

I'm actually more interested in the single player of UT3 and if it is coop I might just buy it for the PC.  We'll see.

Tonnica

Thanks for posting, Mel!

Some of the games for Wii that catch my eye (beyond the already mentioned) are:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga

For the DS, Final Fantasy: Revenant Wings is going to be released which is good for anyone who can actually stand the new Ivalice Arc franchise. I can't even get near the stuff. Makes me break out in hives. shudder

Some weird stuff on the DS in November. Puzzle de Harvest Moon? Ultimate Mortal Kombat? JENGA?! I'm seeing sleeper hit potential with Mario Party DS. The only problem I could see while playing Mario Party DS is on the DS Lite the microphone is embedded into the cover hinge. Apparently that makes it hard to win sound-based puzzles.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer