Vid Card question

Started by Ustauk, November 01, 2005, 07:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Well, I ended up getting an x850 Pro instaed of the GTO, as I indicated in this post.

Thorin, if you want to go for this instead of the 9800 Pro, I'll understand.  The x850 Pro does come with a DVI to VGA adapter, at least according to the box.

Thorin

Err, that's $175 more than the 9800 Pro  :o Don't think I have all that extra cash kicking around.  You have to know, I have little mouths nibbling at my wallet all day long...  Having lots of money to just blow on things for myself is one of the things I miss about bachelorhood  :lol:

I'll still be buyin' the 9800 from ye, ye scurvy bilge rat!  Arrggghhhh!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

Oh, and that does seem to be a decent price for one o' 'em a' th' mom'nt.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Err, that's $175 more than the 9800 Pro  :o Don't think I have all that extra cash kicking around.  You have to know, I have little mouths nibbling at my wallet all day long...  Having lots of money to just blow on things for myself is one of the things I miss about bachelorhood  :lol:

I'll still be buyin' the 9800 from ye, ye scurvy bilge rat!  Arrggghhhh!

I didn't think you'd be able to, but I thought I would give you the option.  Does Jekyll and Hyde's at sound good for lunch on Monday?

PS: And talk like a pirate day was September 19.  Was somebody watching Pirates of the Carribean last night?  :wink:

Thorin

Yes I was.  'twere on the Tee Vee.  Jekyll and Hyde at noon on Monday sounds good.  You have the DVI-VGA adapter?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Yes I was.  'twere on the Tee Vee.  Jekyll and Hyde at noon on Monday sounds good.  You have the DVI-VGA adapter?

I haven't found the one that came with the 9800 Pro yet, but if I don't find it you can take the one that came with the x850 pro: I don't need it.

Thorin

Cool.  See you Monday at lunch.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Nuts, Mr. A. ain't here.  Ustauk, I'll be down there around 11:45, in case you come early.  See ya there, eh?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Quote from: "Thorin"Nuts, Mr. A. ain't here.  Ustauk, I'll be down there around 11:45, in case you come early.  See ya there, eh?

Sounds good.

Thorin

Quote from: "Ustauk"
Quote from: "Thorin"Yes I was.  'twere on the Tee Vee.  Jekyll and Hyde at noon on Monday sounds good.  You have the DVI-VGA adapter?

I haven't found the one that came with the 9800 Pro yet, but if I don't find it you can take the one that came with the x850 pro: I don't need it.

Grr...  My secondary monitor is clearly getting a signal, but it's not displaying the Windows desktop.

When I say it's clearly getting a signal, I mean that if I change the resolution for the secondary monitor, it blinks and flashes like normal.  If I disable the secondary display, the secondary monitor turns off.  If I enable the secondary display, the secondary monitor turns on.  There's just no bloody image being displayed!

Grr...

I wonder if this is because a DVI-D signal is being supplied to the DVI-VGA converter, where only a DVI-I or DVI-A signal gets properly converted by the DVI-VGA converter?  And of course, this is really hard to find information about on the web.

I have switched monitors, by the way, and both monitors work as the primary monitor.  Both monitors are even auto-detected to the right kind!

Ustauk, do you still have the manual for this card?  I'm wondering if there's an on-board DIP switch that I need to change, or something.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Ustauk

Did you go into the Catalyst control panel, into the Display Manager section, and specify extended desktop in your options?  As far as I know, it doesn't have a hardware switch as far as I know.  I never used the second monitor output , but I did extend the desktop to the TV out.  I'll PM you my number and you can give me a call.

Lazybones

I can probably help you trouble shoot as well.. I have been running Multi monitor for a long time.

1. As Ust said, you need to go into display settings and select Extend my desktop to this monitor.

2. If you reboot the system do both monitors display something? If not there is probably a problem. During boot up both monitors should be displaying the boot process.

Thorin

Quote from: "Ustauk"Did you go into the Catalyst control panel, into the Display Manager section, and specify extended desktop in your options?  As far as I know, it doesn't have a hardware switch as far as I know.  I never used the second monitor output , but I did extend the desktop to the TV out.  I'll PM you my number and you can give me a call.

Yep I did.  The monitor flashes, but doesn't display the desktop.

Quote from: "Lazybones"I can probably help you trouble shoot as well.. I have been running Multi monitor for a long time.

1. As Ust said, you need to go into display settings and select Extend my desktop to this monitor.

2. If you reboot the system do both monitors display something? If not there is probably a problem. During boot up both monitors should be displaying the boot process.

Heh, I used to run multimonitor off of a Matrox G550.  There it was dualhead VGA analog hookup.  Here it's dualhead VGA analog/DVI(-I?-D?-A?).

1. Yep, did that.

2. No, only the primary monitor displays information.  This is why I'm wondering if the DVI-to-VGA adapter is converting wrong or something.  Especially as it's not the one that originally came with the card.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

I also want to take this opportunity to say that when I extend the desktop the monitor goes from standby mode (orange-coloured power light) to on mode (green-coloured power light).  When I un-extend, it goes from on mode back to standby mode.  So the monitor is clearly receiving some instructions properly.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful