Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, I decided to give Plex a whirl and right off the bat I hit a problem.

I have quite a few ISOs from DVDs I own (not everyone visits Pirate Bay) anyway, I can load up the ISO no problem on my DVD player but, I can't control menus or anything.

VASTLY ANNOYING and nothing on their forums to suggest how to resolve this issue other than "use a different device" (which, is the most asinine thing I ever heard).

What. A. Swizz.

Anyway, really easy to set up, works like a dream for everything but ISOs it would seem.

Was going to lie comatose on the couch and have a Jacques Tati marathon, but I guess I'll have to find the discs now :P
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I don't have any iso dumps anymore so I can't say I have run into that issue.

Lazybones

http://forums2.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/35837-problem-with-iso-not-streaming/

Looks like it should be supported but you might have to tweak some settings, also this is probably only a function of the full native windows/Mac client and not the embedded clients.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 13, 2012, 09:45:25 AM
http://forums2.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/35837-problem-with-iso-not-streaming/

Looks like it should be supported but you might have to tweak some settings, also this is probably only a function of the full native windows/Mac client and not the embedded clients.

Yep, ah well, I guess I'll have to decode a bunch of ISOs heh

At least it will free up some space in the end.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 13, 2012, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 13, 2012, 09:45:25 AM

Yep, ah well, I guess I'll have to decode a bunch of ISOs heh

At least it will free up some space in the end.
Could just rip out the video too, would take a lot less time. Slap the VOB on disk ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Turns out you need to have a little more than the bare specs if you don't want buffering on XBox. While I've found most videos play fine some took more juice to transcode and after about 20 minutes of viewing I'd hit a buffering wall that would send me back in time.

But still very cool, I'm actually quite surprised at how good it is at finding the right years, posters and in some cases subtitles!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Make sure your "temp" directory has enough space, also don't use WIFI if you can avoid it when dealing with DLNA clients since they will try and play full bit-rate if they support the format.

Mr. Analog

Yeah, I already learnt the WiFi lesson with 1080p streams on my BluRay player a while back.

But yeah, overall I'm impressed, easy to set up and get going, no fuss for the most part.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Some big changes for plex

Plex Pass premium account
http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/08/28/part-2-introducing-plexpass/
- Voting on feature and bugs
- early access to features in development
- discounts on yet unannounced premium features

WebUI / Client (early access beta for PlexPass users)
http://elan.plexapp.com/2012/08/28/part-3-introducing-the-new-plex-web-client/

I have some fear of the pay model but Plex is so much better than the other solutions I have struggled with I have no issue paying them some cash, pricing is fairly reasonable.
I have tried out the Official Web Client (there are two unofficial ones) and it works VERY well... It has some issues (stretches 4:3 to 16:9) but other wise a very nice addition. If you are cheap it also works on iOS and Android devices, although the native clients on those platforms are a bit more robust.

Tom

I read about that earlier, I really need to find some time to look at that again. Plex is pretty nice for most video.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Plex has a Client API so as I said there are two unofficial web clients, however what was announce is a native one bundled with the server. It is currently only a beta available to the new premium Plex pass users hower it may roll out as a free feature once complete.

Mr. Analog

Is there a Plex client for XBox because several MKVs I tried to play this afternoon wouldn't load, I suspect it's just sending the stream directly to the XBox via DLNA and while I have all the codecs on my computer the XBox does not

I don't want to convert a jillion MKVs!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 31, 2012, 04:57:05 PM
Is there a Plex client for XBox because several MKVs I tried to play this afternoon wouldn't load, I suspect it's just sending the stream directly to the XBox via DLNA and while I have all the codecs on my computer the XBox does not

I don't want to convert a jillion MKVs!

The Xbox is supported via DNLA, and the server SHOULD trans-code ANYTHING it thinks the Xbox can't play natively.

Is your dashboard all up to date on the Xbox?

Mr. Analog

XBox is all up to date, but yeah it no worky on either my XBox or my BluRay player. Video runs fine on both my PCs though.

Is there some option or something that needs to be flipped? I assumed this worked out of the box?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 31, 2012, 05:03:14 PM
XBox is all up to date, but yeah it no worky on either my XBox or my BluRay player. Video runs fine on both my PCs though.

Is there some option or something that needs to be flipped? I assumed this worked out of the box?

Xbox should work out of the box, no configuration needed.... If your LG Bluerayplayer has the MediaLink app that is technically a Plex client otherwise it would connect over DLNA... There isn't an included profile for LG devices yet, so it would get the generic one and not know what to transcode.

If you have an original xbox like me you might be missing the media codec pack http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-IE/Product/Optional-Media-Update/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802fffe07df