What would be a good CPU upgrade for an ASUS Z87-PRO?

Started by Mr. Analog, March 19, 2022, 12:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 19, 2022, 09:11:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2022, 08:56:21 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on March 19, 2022, 08:36:39 PMI would also recommend 32gb min for a gaming rig this days for future proofing. Personally I went 64gb

It seems like this is my best option for 64 GB, kinda pricey but given I upgrade once every ten years it seems... 🤔

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00120581

I'll be envious of your DDR5 experience... Supposed to be a good increase over DDR4

Okie dokie,  adding it to cart as my CC weeps hahaha

I'll need a ride to MemEx south sometime this week
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on March 19, 2022, 03:33:50 PMBut ya if you are on 4th Gen intel ANYTHING semi current will be a HUGE jump in performance.

<sigh>

Device name   Blackie
Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460  CPU @ 3.20GHz  3.20 GHz
Installed RAM   8.00 GB

At least I've managed to scrounge a GTX 1060 from a coworker a while ago.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2022, 09:24:38 PMSo yeah! Guess I just bought a new system

Congrats on being the proud papa of a brand-new high-end computer!

So what are you planning to do with your old mobo/cpu/ram?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 19, 2022, 09:56:11 PMSo what are you planning to do with your old mobo/cpu/ram?

I have no idea, I guess I could sell 'em? I figure with the CPU and RAM (which is new) around $300?

Ya interested?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 19, 2022, 10:11:37 PM
Quote from: Thorin on March 19, 2022, 09:56:11 PMSo what are you planning to do with your old mobo/cpu/ram?

I have no idea, I guess I could sell 'em? I figure with the CPU and RAM (which is new) around $300?

Ya interested?

Obviously I'm flexible on the price for friends...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Ya interested?

I'm humming and hahhing about this at the moment, on the one hand it's a little faster than my current CPU, on the other hand it's not a _bunch_ faster and my current setup does what I want it to...  And then I think, "Oh, I could have two computers going again", and then I think, "But no one ever uses the other computer anymore, they all have their own laptops / tablets / much better desktops".  So...  Let me sit and think on it a bit more, and if you find someone else to sell it to in the meantime then that tells me fate says it wasn't meant to be :)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 20, 2022, 05:40:51 PM

Ya interested?

I'm humming and hahhing about this at the moment, on the one hand it's a little faster than my current CPU, on the other hand it's not a _bunch_ faster and my current setup does what I want it to...  And then I think, "Oh, I could have two computers going again", and then I think, "But no one ever uses the other computer anymore, they all have their own laptops / tablets / much better desktops".  So...  Let me sit and think on it a bit more, and if you find someone else to sell it to in the meantime then that tells me fate says it wasn't meant to be :)

Sounds good! I'll throw in a monitor to sweeten the deal
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Congrats! I can't tell you how much my "productivity" improved when I upgraded from my FX-8320 to a Ryzen 3700x a little over a year or so ago now. The RTX 2060 Super helped too. :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 21, 2022, 02:34:30 PMCongrats! I can't tell you how much my "productivity" improved when I upgraded from my FX-8320 to a Ryzen 3700x a little over a year or so ago now. The RTX 2060 Super helped too. :D

I'm really excited to get on modern architecture! Can't wait to see what games look like. Maybe I can play Teardown without melting my cpu lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

SO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119762

This means my old system is virtually a whole computer all it's missing is a power supply and a video card.

It's still up for grabs @Thorin
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 PMSO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

Welcome to the Lani Li club lol... same case both I and @Suronal have.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 29, 2022, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 PMSO! I'm getting a new case because the old one isn't big enough for the cooling system I'm having installed

Welcome to the Lani Li club lol... same case both I and @Suronal have.

Nice
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

This is why I pay someone else for the headache

Apparently the liquid cooling system that we picked out had a pump failure out of the box

On one hand can't win with this build so far but on the other hand I'm not the one struggling with it!
By Grabthar's Hammer