Mom friendly Media Player

Started by Tom, December 22, 2012, 12:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Hey hey, you get to fly out to NS in the spring time?  Wait until it's nice weather and then have a nice week or two of vacation!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 24, 2012, 03:16:19 PM
Hey hey, you get to fly out to NS in the spring time?  Wait until it's nice weather and then have a nice week or two of vacation!
Yeah. The initial idea was to fly out asap cause she was feeling really down, but she decided to postpone it. Was worried about weather stranding me at an airport for a week (it happens out there often enough), and that her painting and stuff isn't done.

So yeah, I'll be flying out in a few months it seems. Maybe sooner, we'll see. I am however getting her new internet soon here. \o/ then she can use skype probably. should be cheaper than the long distance she has.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Just saying... You make also need to setup the Roku before going out there if dial up is still in use or you will need to setup Internet connection sharing or something.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 24, 2012, 04:24:11 PM
Just saying... You make also need to setup the Roku before going out there if dial up is still in use or you will need to setup Internet connection sharing or something.
Yeah, we'll see if she has problems with it. Hopefully not. The new internet doesn't come with a router of any kind, which is good in a way. But I think she has a WiFi router. I think. If not, I'll send one of those too ;)

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on December 24, 2012, 03:19:29 PM
she can use skype probably. should be cheaper than the long distance she has.

Funny that internet + free video calling app is cheaper than long distance even though it could very well be over the same lines.  Any idea yet what kind of internet connection she's actually gonna get?  Satellite, DSL, something over a video cable, or some kind of aimed antenna relay?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 24, 2012, 11:11:31 PM
Quote from: Tom on December 24, 2012, 03:19:29 PM
she can use skype probably. should be cheaper than the long distance she has.

Funny that internet + free video calling app is cheaper than long distance even though it could very well be over the same lines.  Any idea yet what kind of internet connection she's actually gonna get?  Satellite, DSL, something over a video cable, or some kind of aimed antenna relay?
The last option. Seems it's using the "Motorola Canopy" system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadband_for_Rural_Nova_Scotia_initiative

Thorin

There's something being piloted in rural Alberta that uses microwave dishes and some kind of repeater system to bring real broadband speeds (10+mbps) to the farmers.  I can't remember what it was, just that some of the cattle ranchers were looking at it to transfer their cow databases to my old employer.

god damn I hated that place.  stupid bosses.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Thorin and I worked with a guy who used to install microwave internet relays
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I really can't remember who that was, if it wasn't Lazy?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on December 25, 2012, 01:25:58 PM
I really can't remember who that was, if it wasn't Lazy?

It was Joe Joe is the 1 who installed the a repeaters up in Wildwood
By Grabthar's Hammer