Speedify -- apparently the best and cheapest internet "channel bonding"

Started by Darren Dirt, March 17, 2015, 08:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Neat idea, although you need more than one internet connection to really benefit from it.  And I'm definitely not adding my 4G data plan as an internet connection, because I'll be paying hundreds of dollars for data going across it when Speedify accidentally identifies it as the best choice connection.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Ya I can't see this saving money, the way Shaw / Telus price their service trying to combine their lower end offerings will not save money over the higher end ones.

Darren Dirt

Clearly this is geared towards those who require 100% up-time and/or are willing to pay for doubled+ speeds even if it means paying for 2 different service packages. It won't increase your single service, other than maybe deal with packet loss a bit better (with a slight overhead cost, when things are running smoothly).

I know that online poker grinders would often pay for 2 different internet service providers, because if one goes down they could just switch to the other (e.g. in a decently-high buyin tournament, obviously this would pay for itself if it happened even one time and they could continue their big-stack deep run rather than be blinded out while waiting for the ISP to recover)... I imagine using Speedify would also make sense for businesses that find they have inconsistent streaming quality during presentations etc.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 17, 2015, 10:26:30 AM
Clearly this is geared towards those who require 100% up-time and/or are willing to pay for doubled+ speeds even if it means paying for 2 different service packages. It won't increase your single service, other than maybe deal with packet loss a bit better (with a slight overhead cost, when things are running smoothly).

I know that online poker grinders would often pay for 2 different internet service providers, because if one goes down they could just switch to the other (e.g. in a decently-high buyin tournament, obviously this would pay for itself if it happened even one time and they could continue their big-stack deep run rather than be blinded out while waiting for the ISP to recover)... I imagine using Speedify would also make sense for businesses that find they have inconsistent streaming quality during presentations etc.

When you have a proper budget for paying for these things you do it correctly with your own gear..

This service seems to be clearly targeted at Home/SOHO  with crappy internet speeds but more than one provider option. IE much of the US.