Awww Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh <sunglasses/>

Started by Tom, January 07, 2016, 10:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's no 980ti, but I ain't made o' money yaknow. OCed and it can match a stock R9 Fury :o

Mr. Analog

The main thing is onboard memory, which you got tons of now, so most games will run pretty well IMO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 10:49:24 AM
The main thing is onboard memory, which you got tons of now, so most games will run pretty well IMO
Turns out the 970 with 3.5G usable ram performs only slightly worse. The jury is still out on whether games will start asking for that much ram or not in the future. I win if they do. I'm going to do some testing to see how much vram use I can get games to use.

Saw a guy do a test with a 970 and a hd pack for Skyrim still didn't use more than 3.5G. but then maybe they know not to use more than that on the 970.

Mr. Analog

Are we talking vanilla Skyrim or modded Skyrim?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 11:04:10 AM
Are we talking vanilla Skyrim or modded Skyrim?
I think he skipped doing a TON of mods, but he did install huge HD texture packs.

Also It's bigger than my head.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Congrats!

The best part of that second picture is the fact that you made sure to wear a Fraga t-shirt while unboxing your new gaming video card...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on January 07, 2016, 12:04:19 PM
Congrats!

The best part of that second picture is the fact that you made sure to wear a Fraga t-shirt while unboxing your new gaming video card...
Hahaha, yeah. Maybe I should post that to the FB Fraga group. 2007 shirt too.

Tom

Got the card installed. Briefly tested Fallout 4 and it autodetected I should use the "Ultra" settings, and it basically didn't go below 60fps. Of course vsync was turned on and the new crimson stuff makes it hard to find the global vsync settings. *sigh* so I don't know what the max fps was. But it felt smooth :D

Tom

More FWP, I think the shinyness one or more of the high quality settings adds is distracting. It's not like they have global reflections...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 07, 2016, 06:59:32 PM
Got the card installed. Briefly tested Fallout 4 and it autodetected I should use the "Ultra" settings, and it basically didn't go below 60fps. Of course vsync was turned on and the new crimson stuff makes it hard to find the global vsync settings. *sigh* so I don't know what the max fps was. But it felt smooth :D

To uncap your FPS you gotta modify your config

Set "iPresentInterval" to 0

ALSO YOU WILL HAVE TO ENABLE VSYNC thru your video card driver / settings or as I discovered Fallout 4 gameplay is linked to the FPS so when you are getting 900+ fps on something like the lockpicking screen or an interior you're gonna have a hell of time (also the physics gets HILARIOUS at over hundred FPS)

Anyway, some more unlocks for things like FOV:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-tweak-fallout-4s-hidden-graphics-options/

BOOSH

ENJOY
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I was just going to see what kind of numbers I'd get, so I was going to force vsync off in the drivers, so even the game can't enable it. Easier to mess with that I thought, than editing an ini file. I don't actually mind it being capped to 60fps since I dislike tearing :)

So assuming I do set that iPresentInterval option, does it still break the gameplay? (I heard about that already, and I think it's hilarious! tying physics and logic to the frame rate is ridiculous)

I will play with dual and triple 1080p as well :D even though the 390 isn't likely going to do well at 3x1080p, it may do decently at 2x1080p.

May also play with some overclocking. You can actually get like 10-20fps improvements from OCing the 390s, and in Fallout 4, OCing your cpu AND ram actually helps a lot. F4 seems to be really cpu and memory bound, such that OCing your ram from 1600mhz up to like 1866 or 2000+ will net you a significant improvement. Usually its the other way around, most games aren't limited much by ram at all. I think I'll be able to get near 1ghz OC out of my cpu, but ram will be tricky, I have a mixed kit 1333/1600 and 1866. I was thinking of replacing the older kit with a matched pair for the new ram i bought last month if running faster ram helps out enough.

Mr. Analog

It's capped at 30 fps, that flag uncaps it to whatever your card can manage, and stupidly there's no game config option for VSYNC so I had to set it through the nVidia control panel.

TBH it's not THAT broken, the main things that will break are dialog and the lockpicking screens, everything else just gets slightly more fun :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 08:10:54 PM
It's capped at 30 fps, that flag uncaps it to whatever your card can manage, and stupidly there's no game config option for VSYNC so I had to set it through the nVidia control panel.
Hm, so the logic rate is maxed at 30. I have the steam overlay set to print out the fps and it mostly stays at 60fps.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 08:10:54 PM
TBH it's not THAT broken, the main things that will break are dialog and the lockpicking screens, everything else just gets slightly more fun :D
And maybe not as tedious ;D

It reminds me of my days with the FF7 PC port. Hacking it to run on my TNT2 (when it's special 3d acceleration support only supported the TNT1) caused it to run a lot of animations SUPER fast. That animation going into fights for instance was near instant :D Sadly it also caused crashing :(

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

... why would a game screaming to played on ultra hardware get its FPS capped at 30?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 07, 2016, 10:50:31 PM
... why would a game screaming to played on ultra hardware get its FPS capped at 30?

Console first, PC second ports

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Next Gen consoles promised a lot more than they delivered, so the ability is usually there in things like GTAV (HD) and F4 but locked out by default because...

Quote from: Lazybones on January 07, 2016, 10:54:04 PM

Console first, PC second ports

Exactly

BUT NOW YOU CAN ENJOY BUTTERY SMOOTH GAMEPLAY
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's fairly amusing. The XBone promised 1080p gameplay. Turns out most games just can't pump that much and are locked at 900p MAX. some may be lower (like 720p). The gpu then takes that 900p signal and hw scales it to 1080p so your TV actually knows what to do with it. lol.

Melbosa

Most of the new Xbox one games are now native 1080p. But yes the first year was very much as you say.  Still looks great on my tv :P

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 08, 2016, 10:42:12 PM
Most of the new Xbox one games are now native 1080p. But yes the first year was very much as you say.  Still looks great on my tv :P

#PcMasterRaceMatters

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 08, 2016, 10:42:12 PM

...at 30 fps :D *sad trombone*

I found a page on IGN that compares the two main systems native resolutions and framerates:
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

But hey, if its fun its fun right?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Nice list.  And as I said; most of the new games are at 1080p, and a good portion are even at 60fps :P.

And yeah fun is fun, otherwise who would play Minecraft is just based on graphics output?

Thorin

Actually if it's only based on graphics output, Minecraft is listed at 1080p 60fps natively. So a good or better graphics output than most on the list.

Now realism, hmm, one could say Minecraft is not very realistic looking. And yet it's the best $135 entertainment dollars I've spent in years (5 accounts $27 each).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Minecraft's big bottleneck is the cpu and io. Mostly because its mostly single threaded and does a lot of crap wrt resource loading/unloading when trying to render. You can get away with super low end graphics (I have), but not a super super low end cpu, at least with the java version.