Awww Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh <sunglasses/>

Started by Tom, January 07, 2016, 10:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 08:10:54 PM
It's capped at 30 fps, that flag uncaps it to whatever your card can manage, and stupidly there's no game config option for VSYNC so I had to set it through the nVidia control panel.
Hm, so the logic rate is maxed at 30. I have the steam overlay set to print out the fps and it mostly stays at 60fps.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 07, 2016, 08:10:54 PM
TBH it's not THAT broken, the main things that will break are dialog and the lockpicking screens, everything else just gets slightly more fun :D
And maybe not as tedious ;D

It reminds me of my days with the FF7 PC port. Hacking it to run on my TNT2 (when it's special 3d acceleration support only supported the TNT1) caused it to run a lot of animations SUPER fast. That animation going into fights for instance was near instant :D Sadly it also caused crashing :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

... why would a game screaming to played on ultra hardware get its FPS capped at 30?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 07, 2016, 10:50:31 PM
... why would a game screaming to played on ultra hardware get its FPS capped at 30?

Console first, PC second ports

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Next Gen consoles promised a lot more than they delivered, so the ability is usually there in things like GTAV (HD) and F4 but locked out by default because...

Quote from: Lazybones on January 07, 2016, 10:54:04 PM

Console first, PC second ports

Exactly

BUT NOW YOU CAN ENJOY BUTTERY SMOOTH GAMEPLAY
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's fairly amusing. The XBone promised 1080p gameplay. Turns out most games just can't pump that much and are locked at 900p MAX. some may be lower (like 720p). The gpu then takes that 900p signal and hw scales it to 1080p so your TV actually knows what to do with it. lol.

Melbosa

Most of the new Xbox one games are now native 1080p. But yes the first year was very much as you say.  Still looks great on my tv :P

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on January 08, 2016, 10:42:12 PM
Most of the new Xbox one games are now native 1080p. But yes the first year was very much as you say.  Still looks great on my tv :P

#PcMasterRaceMatters

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on January 08, 2016, 10:42:12 PM

...at 30 fps :D *sad trombone*

I found a page on IGN that compares the two main systems native resolutions and framerates:
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

But hey, if its fun its fun right?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Nice list.  And as I said; most of the new games are at 1080p, and a good portion are even at 60fps :P.

And yeah fun is fun, otherwise who would play Minecraft is just based on graphics output?

Thorin

Actually if it's only based on graphics output, Minecraft is listed at 1080p 60fps natively. So a good or better graphics output than most on the list.

Now realism, hmm, one could say Minecraft is not very realistic looking. And yet it's the best $135 entertainment dollars I've spent in years (5 accounts $27 each).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Minecraft's big bottleneck is the cpu and io. Mostly because its mostly single threaded and does a lot of crap wrt resource loading/unloading when trying to render. You can get away with super low end graphics (I have), but not a super super low end cpu, at least with the java version.