Main Menu

New PC 2016

Started by Lazybones, January 22, 2016, 02:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I could have saved some money on a few parts if I was willing to wait, however this is what I was able to pull off with what my local store had in stock.

Went ultra wide instead of multi-monitor... This actually caused me to step my video card up big time after doing some research.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($265.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($158.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X 8GB SOC Video Card  ($582.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($72.98 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)  ($207.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: LG 29UC97C 60Hz 29.0" Monitor  ($577.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2085.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-22 04:44 EST-0500

Tom

Aww, its only a 60hz monitor? Hopefully it can be overdriven.

Nice computer. Much better than my old desktop :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Old PC was from 2011 moving that one to the kids .

FPS and Refresh rate are related but not the same (unless vsync is on), past extreme gaming going past 60hz didn't seem like a good option vs getting a really nice curved display that better filled my field of view.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 22, 2016, 10:27:16 AM

FPS and Refresh rate are related but not the same (unless vsync is on), past extreme gaming going past 60hz didn't seem like a good option vs getting a really nice curved display that better filled my field of view.
I suppose. Though I've heard people say that you really can't know what 120/144hz is like till you've tried it, and you'll never want to go back.

Tom

I'm hopefully getting a new desk this weekend. my current setup disagrees with triple 24" monitors. It might be a manual sit/stand desk, though the version of the same desk that doesn't have the crank is like half the price or less, so we'll see.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 22, 2016, 11:06:50 AM

I suppose. Though I've heard people say that you really can't know what 120/144hz is like till you've tried it, and you'll never want to go back.

Again that is for a HEAVY gaming focuse... It makes squat all difference for everything else I use the PC for, TV and Movie content.

I found a few comparisons online for 60vs 120 and even 144Hz, however in nearly all cases they needed to slow down the video to illistrate the difference between the two, at normal speeds both seem smooth. Yes, there is a diffence but as long as I do not currently preceive it that doesn't bother me.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 22, 2016, 11:22:18 AM
Quote from: Tom on January 22, 2016, 11:06:50 AM

Again that is for a HEAVY gaming focuse... It makes squat all difference for everything else I use the PC for, TV and Movie content.

I found a few comparisons online for 60vs 120 and even 144Hz, however in nearly all cases they needed to slow down the video to illistrate the difference between the two, at normal speeds both seem smooth. Yes, there is a diffence but as long as I do not currently preceive it that doesn't bother me.
Indeed. I assumed because of the mid-high end gpu, stellar screen, and fancy cpu you were going to mainly game on it.

Melbosa

Lazy back gaming... colour me /shocked
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 22, 2016, 11:25:50 AM
Indeed. I assumed because of the mid-high end gpu, stellar screen, and fancy cpu you were going to mainly game on it.

Well that is the funny thing, by going with a single wide monitor with a high native resolution, I needed to seriously boost the video card to ensure smooth native resolution playback vs gaming just on my old primary which was a standard 1080p 16:9 display. I did a little research and found I was probably going to have a bad time if I went lower than the 390, I only ended up with an 390X because they didn't have any stock for the regular 390.

Tomshardware has a fairly good recommendation guide for different ranges of cards and resolutions.

While gaming isn't a the absolute focus I didn't want to build something new that failed to play current titles really well.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 22, 2016, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: Tom on January 22, 2016, 11:25:50 AM

Well that is the funny thing, by going with a single wide monitor with a high native resolution, I needed to seriously boost the video card to ensure smooth native resolution playback vs gaming just on my old primary which was a standard 1080p 16:9 display. I did a little research and found I was probably going to have a bad time if I went lower than the 390, I only ended up with an 390X because they didn't have any stock for the regular 390.

Tomshardware has a fairly good recommendation guide for different ranges of cards and resolutions.

While gaming isn't a the absolute focus I didn't want to build something new that failed to play current titles really well.

Yeah, totally makes sense. And sometimes the 390X isn't actually much more than a 390. I almost with I got the X version but I got the 390 on sale. And I suspect it'll do me for a few years :) Even with dual 1080. I wont get triple 1080p out of the 390 most likely, but that's ok :) I'd need a 980ti or FuryX, or the new AMD card thats due mid 2016. (not the Fury X2) Once the new card drops i can probably pick up a second 390 and try some CrossFire :D muahahaha.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 22, 2016, 11:42:04 AM
Yeah, totally makes sense. And sometimes the 390X isn't actually much more than a 390. I almost with I got the X version but I got the 390 on sale. And I suspect it'll do me for a few years :) Even with dual 1080. I wont get triple 1080p out of the 390 most likely, but that's ok :) I'd need a 980ti or FuryX, or the new AMD card thats due mid 2016. (not the Fury X2) Once the new card drops i can probably pick up a second 390 and try some CrossFire :D muahahaha.

I wanted to ensure the 5 year ish longevity I have enjoyed with my last two systems with minor upgrades along the way.

Skylake + DDR4  support drove me two LGA 1151 motherboards and the new i5 as the base (i3 is only 2 core). The display resolution drove the video card, which then drove the PSU, I can't believe the power connections those things need now.

The board also has an M.2 socket on it for future SUPER fast SSDs... I almost went that way for the initial build but  the current M.2 SSDs that I could afford where not any faster than the SATA 6 Gb/s ones. I look forward to when those 32 Gb/s SSDs start to arrive, I can snap one directly to the board, no power and SATA cables to deal with.

Thorin

Looks like it'll be a very nice machine for the next five years.  The curved screen will be quite neat to use when sitting close, I wonder what it's like to use a curved screen as a TV where you're sitting further away.

$2,085 / 60 months = $34.75 / month.  Not really breaking the bank there, either.

I'm a little jealous, but happy for you.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 22, 2016, 12:13:59 PM
Looks like it'll be a very nice machine for the next five years.  The curved screen will be quite neat to use when sitting close, I wonder what it's like to use a curved screen as a TV where you're sitting further away.

$2,085 / 60 months = $34.75 / month.  Not really breaking the bank there, either.

I'm a little jealous, but happy for you.

Went way over budget, I worked out various options such as building a budget kids PC etc. However after adding monitors etc it became a significant investment and I just decided the current PC would be great for the kids and it was time to build a new long term system.

The curve is actually fairly subtle on this display but since it is so wide it it nice when turning your head a little to look at the far corners. A number of large TVs are also curved now... Looking at them at Bestbuy they look good at a distance accept at extreme angles.

The monitor it self is almost 1/3 of the cost and I suspect will be in service longer than 5yrs unless it gets replaced by Hololense or some form of VR.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer