Main Menu

New PC 2016

Started by Lazybones, January 22, 2016, 02:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Testing out minecraft with shaders and chromahills 64 textures.

Of note to Toms comment on refresh rate shearing is visible if the framerate is to far out of step with the monitor... I have been playing with around with some games and sometimes Vsync produces a much smoother looking image, others turning it off isn't a problem.

Edit: If you look at the specs for the monitor you will find it has speakers but they are very tinny and kinda poor in general... I am still using my previous sound setup which is a logitec two speaker with subwoofer setup that is now on its 3rd PC... Some parts have a much better life span then others.

Thorin

hahaha, all that, and we're still using Minecraft to check if it looks good :)

And yes, stereo equipment just hasn't changed nearly as much as visual display equipment.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Duuuuuuuuude which shader pack is that?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 22, 2016, 01:59:03 PM
Duuuuuuuuude which shader pack is that?
This is the following:

OptiFine 1.8.9 HD U H2 (enables sharders now built in)
SEUS-v10.1-Standard
Croma Hills 64x64 Resource pack http://www.chromahills.com/forum/downloads.php

Quote from: Thorin on January 22, 2016, 01:57:31 PM
hahaha, all that, and we're still using Minecraft to check if it looks good :)

And yes, stereo equipment just hasn't changed nearly as much as visual display equipment.

I haven't really purchased any cutting edge games recently for PC since they would have looked sad on my old one... Hell even Fallout 4 isn't considered graphically advanced by PC standards.  I think I might install some mods on Cities Skylines later... I can sure see a hell of a lot of the map now.

Tom

Funny thing about Fallout 4, Cities, and Minecraft, they are all mostly CPU bound. :D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

If you want to get some stress on your machine (and some fun) try running GTA V with ultra settings + mods :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

So my system has started to FREEZE solid when playing more challenging games... After a bit of research the CPU / Motherboard might be at fault.

Apparently skylake processors have a not so nice math bug in them.

The issue can apparently be patched via motherboard, however even updating to the latest beta BIOS for my board I am still seeing the issue.

Poking around forums other users particularly of my board / same chipset are having issues.

So sad right now.

Tom

That bug should only ever happen under VERY specific circumstances. Like running prime95 with a very specific key/start or something. If its happening in games, its a much more serious bug than most people even thought.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 30, 2016, 04:29:54 PM
That bug should only ever happen under VERY specific circumstances. Like running prime95 with a very specific key/start or something. If its happening in games, its a much more serious bug than most people even thought.

Well apparently it is two bugs, 1 being the CPU 2 being DDR4 RAM related.

Ether case seems to result in a system FREEZE... not even a BSOD.. the RESET button doesn't even work I have to hold the power button to free the system from that state.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 30, 2016, 04:44:05 PM

Ether case seems to result in a system FREEZE... not even a BSOD.. the RESET button doesn't even work I have to hold the power button to free the system from that state.
:(

I feel you. both my desktop and laptop have been acting up. Laptop is deff a hardware problem. Desktop may be mostly a Software problem.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 30, 2016, 05:20:05 PM

I feel you. both my desktop and laptop have been acting up. Laptop is deff a hardware problem. Desktop may be mostly a Software problem.

The thing that bothers me is that the reset button doesn't work when it happens.. Essentially the reset button should tell the motherboard to cut the CPU power and force a reboot immediately.. the fact that isn't working is concerning.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 30, 2016, 05:21:47 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 30, 2016, 05:20:05 PM

The thing that bothers me is that the reset button doesn't work when it happens.. Essentially the reset button should tell the motherboard to cut the CPU power and force a reboot immediately.. the fact that isn't working is concerning.
The motherboard would have to still be alive. I've hung machines bad enough that the motherboard is locked up as well. Like it's onboard io processor thing that handles all the low level stuff gets locked up as well. If that happens, nothing works. Not even holding the power button down for 5 seconds.

I know you're a pro at PCs and stuff, but just in case, make absolute sure you haven't shorted the motherboard to the case in any way. Like having an extra standoff or you forgot to use standoffs all together (seen that happen :o).

Melbosa

A reset button used to be a 5V draw to cause the system to reboot between two pins.  Now-a-days a reset button is a software eprom system that tells smart PSUs and Mobos to reboot, but still with the same two pins.  So if the Mobo is locked up the software may not be responsive at all.

Ran into this with Dell OptiPlex 7040s and was fixed with a BIOS flash in later releases.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 30, 2016, 05:24:52 PM
I know you're a pro at PCs and stuff, but just in case, make absolute sure you haven't shorted the motherboard to the case in any way. Like having an extra standoff or you forgot to use standoffs all together (seen that happen :o).

Ya ill double check but the symptoms seem to match several other users so I am fairly sure this sites with a general board issue that MIGHT be fixed with a BIOS update.

I don't really want to rip the board out for a different one since I am sure I will have issues re-activating Windows since I purchased a clean OEM copy for this build.

Tom

MS's support is pretty groovy about reactivating windows, even OEM copies. They even have an app now and it may do it automatically for you. It didn't work when i tried it but there was some weirdness with my install and the fact that I didn't actually have a valid Win10 key yet (I was in the middle of redoing my PC including an upgrade to win10 using the win8 key i bought for like $15. hahaa)