New PC 2016

Started by Lazybones, January 22, 2016, 02:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

New PSU, still freezes...

Grrrrrrr

Mr. Analog

:C I hope it's not the mobo or something

I know one case I had it was a wire touching the chassis, that took a while to figure out
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Sooooooooooo feeling really dumb.

Since the PSU wasn't the issue, I went around re-testing things and then I saw it..

CPU temps were rocketing under load and would freeze the system at 90C

1. I thought these always caused a shutdown or reboot
2. I have no case buzzer/speaker on my case so no alarm output with this mother board combo
3. I had tested temp when I built it but had not been looking at it closely.

Checked the CPU heatsink and found it had come loose... re-attached.

Temps look good, and so far no repeat of the lockup.

Also keeping the new PSU, it is modular so no extra loose cables and it is rated better to handle the video card per numerus recommendations... The previous PSU was boarder line.

Tom

Modern CPUs throttle first, then if there's some kind of hardware error it can cause the OS to freeze. As long as it's below the max temp of the cpu, it won't shut itself off (assuming it still can).

Reminds me of my Q6600 box, i didn't install the stock heatsink properly, and it throttled to what felt like 500mhz.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

SWEET

I guess I better figure out how to play Torchlight II!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 29, 2016, 09:35:47 PM
SWEET

I guess I better figure out how to play Torchlight II!

Well depending on your player class two of them click your mouse buttons wildly and mow though mobs.  However  I am around level 30 now and the game is tossing in many more elite style mobs that I need to back away from sometimes.

Torchlight II is rather light on my system, hell I wasn't even having issues with it while my heat sink was loose.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer