The w530 is dead! Long Live the w530!

Started by Tom, February 01, 2016, 09:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

So I knew my warranty was up soon, and decided to do some testing on my laptop. Some weird stuff happened while doing windows updates, and I enabled optimus mode to test in both linux and windows, and then the screen stopped turning on untill KDE actually started...

I then call Lenovo tech support and the guy tells me to grab the latest lenovo software update thing, and run all the updates it finds. One of which was a BIOS, and he insisted I update the BIOS. I was like "OK, can't hurt right?" (it usually doesnt, specially not from a mfgr's own tool). After it updates, I reboot, go into the bios and its all like "IM MISSING IMPORTANT STUFF!" but after about 10 popups it gets me into the setup. Trying to save settings got me like 30 popups. After that it just wouldn't POST :(

*sigh*

I called again and told another guy all of that, he's made me send in my proof of purchase. I HOPE they'll overlook that my warranty is one day over due.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Yeah, I hope they don't pull a Dodge on you there and tell you the warranty expired at 60,000km and you reported the problem at 60,002km.

Geez, you'd think updating the bios to a stable version wouldn't break the machine...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 02, 2016, 12:56:24 AM
Yeah, I hope they don't pull a Dodge on you there and tell you the warranty expired at 60,000km and you reported the problem at 60,002km.

Geez, you'd think updating the bios to a stable version wouldn't break the machine...
I think one of two things happened. 1. Their tool installed the wrong bios, or 2. It got corrupted going in due to the on going stability problems. Interesting how it booted once, and not ever again though.

Mr. Analog

Maybe both, do you have a different BIOS you can try?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 02, 2016, 08:02:43 AM
It won't post. Backlight and fans spin up, but nothing else.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 02, 2016, 08:05:46 AM

Ouch and there's no recovery?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 02, 2016, 08:09:39 AM

I could probably try tearing it apart and grabbing an eeprom flasher assuming the encrypted nature of these BIOSs allows me to do so.

Or hopefully lenovo lets me squeek in one last RMA.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 02, 2016, 08:11:34 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 02, 2016, 08:09:39 AM

I could probably try tearing it apart and grabbing an eeprom flasher assuming the encrypted nature of these BIOSs allows me to do so.

Or hopefully lenovo lets me squeek in one last RMA.

Good luck!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

OH THANK GOD.

Lenovo has decided in all their wisdom to do this one last fix under warranty. So happy about that.

Interesting fact, you apparently cant extend your warranty after it's expired (or maybe it's too old)... I was looking at their site and it actually said "there are no warranty extensions or offers available for your machine".

Thorin

Hopefully they fix whatever has been causing issues and from now on it's rock solid.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 03, 2016, 10:31:09 PM
Hopefully they fix whatever has been causing issues and from now on it's rock solid.
I think the problem is a design flaw, so replacing anything wont FIX it permanently. But if I try to avoid using the quadro gpu and try not to let it sit pegged 24//7 by things like Chrome, it should last a lot longer.

Tom

IT'S ALLLLIIIIVVVEEEE!!!!

Dude came by at around 1:30. Is fixed! yay.

Melbosa

Tom

Fun times. It was getting unstable again. In a last ditch effort, i ran some memtests for a day or two on various sticks and slots, and eventually figured out that two of the memory sticks were /slightly/ flaky. Not outright dead, but enough to cause issues occasionally. And it was one stick out of each kit I had installed. So I got a new 32GB kit for it, and it seems to be a lot better so far.

Tom

So I started having issues with the main SSD. linux would just see it disappear and not come back till a reboot. So I tested both in my desktop, and everything appeared to go fine. So I dug further into the laptop, took it apart, made sure the sata connector was ok, made sure all screws were in place and tightened (especially around the hdd bay), put new thermal paste on the cpu and gpu, then re-assembled (twice?). On boot, the video is now @%&#ed up.

So yeah, just about had it with this @%&#ing laptop. I might try fiddling with the video cable a bit. if that doesn't fix it, I'll just junk it. And this is after buying new ram for the damned thing. FFFFUUUU.

So frustrated. (and not just because of the laptop, see this thread)

Melbosa

Well don't junk it too fast... I like parts :D.  But I hope you can fix it first.

Tom

What kind of parts would you like out of it that I won't salvage? ;)

Tom

Ok, so I think it might just the the video cable was damaged from all the disassembles. It's a little finicky, so I've ordered a new one. Lets hope that's all it is now, and that the sata issue is fixed as well.