The w530 is dead! Long Live the w530!

Started by Tom, February 01, 2016, 09:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Fun times. It was getting unstable again. In a last ditch effort, i ran some memtests for a day or two on various sticks and slots, and eventually figured out that two of the memory sticks were /slightly/ flaky. Not outright dead, but enough to cause issues occasionally. And it was one stick out of each kit I had installed. So I got a new 32GB kit for it, and it seems to be a lot better so far.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

So I started having issues with the main SSD. linux would just see it disappear and not come back till a reboot. So I tested both in my desktop, and everything appeared to go fine. So I dug further into the laptop, took it apart, made sure the sata connector was ok, made sure all screws were in place and tightened (especially around the hdd bay), put new thermal paste on the cpu and gpu, then re-assembled (twice?). On boot, the video is now @%&#ed up.

So yeah, just about had it with this @%&#ing laptop. I might try fiddling with the video cable a bit. if that doesn't fix it, I'll just junk it. And this is after buying new ram for the damned thing. FFFFUUUU.

So frustrated. (and not just because of the laptop, see this thread)

Melbosa

Well don't junk it too fast... I like parts :D.  But I hope you can fix it first.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

What kind of parts would you like out of it that I won't salvage? ;)

Tom

Ok, so I think it might just the the video cable was damaged from all the disassembles. It's a little finicky, so I've ordered a new one. Lets hope that's all it is now, and that the sata issue is fixed as well.