Main Menu

ARK

Started by Lazybones, May 01, 2016, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Figured I should start a general thread on ARK..

The controls do take a lot of get used to that is for sure.. Also expect to starve or die from dino attack when you first start... Collecting food is really important.

If you have a sleeping bag or bed you have a clear re-spawn point otherwise you can chose a random spawn in a specific area... So remember which area you where in.

Lazybones

So far spear fishing in shallow water seems to be the safest source of meat for a low level character.

However there are nasty piranha fish that will get you sometimes as well.

Lazybones

Well I have established a thatch hut, now if only I could get enough hid to make a bed / sleeping bag I could spawn there.

I died a lot tonight. The elements and everything that moves almost wants to kill you.

Lazybones

Had to dial the detail settings back to about medium to get 30-40fps in the game.

One thing that strikes me about this game is how alive it is when you go exploring... There are massive, dinos, medium ones all over, fish in the water and even insects in the bush and most of them will try to kill you.

Apparently unlike minecraft and other games, the server simulation continues to run in the background... So there is a chance your thatch hut can be destroyed while you are offline if a large dino decides to walk through it.

Mr. Analog

This sounds a lot more volatile than RUST holy cow

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Structures also have basic load physics. If you destroy a wall or floor in a building, everything above it will also collapse.

So running and hiding in a low level shed may just result in a Dino breaking though the door, eating you and the roof collapsing.

It seems kind of epic actually.

Mr. Analog

Is there a decay mechanic too? Do wooden structures break over time?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I don't know about over time, but dinos can and will destroy your @%&#.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

ARK
Structure decay should be disabled currently on my server. Thatch, wood, stone and steel normally have different decay rates . I am contemplating just making it high but the Dino's do a good job of messing things up so the whole survival cost still exists.  Also it sounded like you wanted to do building PvE so it seems fair.

I have also made the night cycle half since getting stuck in the dark can be terrifying at low levels. You hunger still grows, you can die from being cold, you can't see if you don't have a torch aaaand the Dino's still hunt you.

Lazybones

I should note that food still decays. If you fill your crates don't expect it to be there when you log back in.

I believe cloth clothing also might decay

Lazybones

Reached level 15 last night, progress feels good, start as a castaway nearly naked, advanced to primitive villager.. Now I have a mostly wood house and two pet dinos, starting to feel like a pioneer.

Also so far it seems there are no larger predators in the general area I have setup base so it is relatively safe compared to were I originally spawned.

Lazybones

It is lonely here on the server, so I decided to make a few friends

Tom

Dug, DeeDee and Bolt? :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2016, 09:59:02 AM
Dug, DeeDee and Bolt? :o

Dug and DeeDee are Dilophosaur's hence the D names, also one is male and one is female... There are breading mechanics in the game.

Bolt just happens to be very fast. Need to get a saddle crafted for him so I can go exploring further.