cheap phone plans

Started by Thorin, June 24, 2016, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

While camping, we were talking about different mobile phone companies, their rates and plans and coverage.  Wind seems to have the cheapest plans, but also kinda bad coverage.  It was weird seeing my friends being charged for data while driving down the highway; with Koodo (Telus's discount department) this idea of paying for roaming data anywhere in Canada just doesn't exist.

So I happened to check our phone bill today, and noticed some limited time offers for plans.  Koodo is offering 500 minutes and 1GB of data and unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm-8am) and unlimited texting and unlimited calling between family (meaning numbers on the same account) for $40.  Total cost after 911 fee and GST is $42.44.  They're also offering the same plan but with 2GB of data for $50.  Total cost $52.94.  Extra data costs $5/250MB, so $20/GB.

Keep in mind that you can use your Koodo phone almost anywhere in Canada (Telus has great coverage) and there's no long distance charges anymore if you're calling from Canada to Canada.

Koodo does a Tab, but really what that means is they'll loan you $300 or $504 interest-free towards the purchase of a phone, and then you pay it back over 24 months ($15/month or $21/month).  So if you have your own device, there's no extra charge for a phone.

Also, if you have a Manitoba or Saskatchewan address you can get a $48/month plan with 5GB of data.  I guess that's the one upside to living in the coldest provinces in Canada?

Anyway, I thought I would point out these limited-time plans.  I'm sure they'll be gone within a few weeks, as Koodo likes to offer a cheaper plan for a little while and then make it unavailable for a while.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

There are only a hand full of "first party" providers in Canada.
Handy Chart of the networks, and brands using the networks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies#Mobile_network_operators

When checking plans be sure to check for things like 911 fees being added on top of the plan price.
Unless you never upgrade your phone on contract, the amount of subsidy is important as well, if you renew a grandfathered 3yr plan it will be renewed as a 2yr now under law, but will loose subsidy credits for upgrades.

My Current plan is $76.00 before Taxes, no additional fees.
- 6GB Data
- 200 Weekday Minutes
- Early Evening Calling from 6pm
- MY10 Canada-wide Talk & Text

I hardly ever use voice, I don't think I have exceeded my voice or texting plan more than once in the last 3 years.. It is all about data now.

Thorin

Where did you get your plan, and how long ago?  6GB data plans used to get handed out as an "upgrade" about three to four years ago, before it became painfully obvious that data was the most important thing to most people.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 24, 2016, 01:46:47 PM

with Koodo (Telus's discount department) this idea of paying for roaming data anywhere in Canada just doesn't exist.

So I happened to check our phone bill today, and noticed some limited time offers for plans.  Koodo is offering 500 minutes and 1GB of data and unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm-8am) and unlimited texting and unlimited calling between family (meaning numbers on the same account) for $40.  Total cost after 911 fee and GST is $42.44.  They're also offering the same plan but with 2GB of data for $50.  Total cost $52.94.  Extra data costs $5/250MB, so $20/GB.

Keep in mind that you can use your Koodo phone almost anywhere in Canada (Telus has great coverage) and there's no long distance charges anymore if you're calling from Canada to Canada.

WOW.

That is almost comparable to the extra-special plan I am thinking of switching to, being an employee of goa. Available to everyday consumers, well done, Telus, you have surprised me.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/tag/slow-clap/

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

What and how much is your extra-special plan, Darren?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 24, 2016, 02:56:20 PM
Where did you get your plan, and how long ago?  6GB data plans used to get handed out as an "upgrade" about three to four years ago, before it became painfully obvious that data was the most important thing to most people.

The plan is now just over 3.5 years old, I am actually on month to month with it right now (Looking at maybe getting a iPhone in the Fall). It was a Rogers promo around when the iPhone 5C was originally released.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 24, 2016, 03:50:55 PM

[TelusOffer.png]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 24, 2016, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: Thorin on June 24, 2016, 03:50:55 PM

[TelusOffer.png]

And how much do you use?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Darren:

$7.00 basic
$5.00 500 minutes talk time
$2.00 free evenings and weekends
$2.50 SMS (texting) cap
$20.00 data usage cap
-------
$36.50 total

That's assuming you use 500 minutes in the daytime in a month, and that you hit the max for texts and data (why would you not?).  If my kids used that, their bills would be $27 - basic plus seventy two billion gigs of data used (for a mere $20 capped amount).

Pretty good deal, I'd say.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I'm betting those CAPs mean hard caps. Use it, and you lose it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2016, 10:48:12 AM

It clearly states 667 MB, IE this plan is completely useless for any modern smart phone unless you live WiFi to WiFi. I use way more than that a week.

Thorin

Given that it says "Capped at 667MB = $20", I think what they mean is they'll charge 3 cents per MB to a maximum charge of $20.  There's no way they'd put out a plan that limits you to 125 text messages a month, right?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on June 25, 2016, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2016, 10:48:12 AM

It clearly states 667 MB, IE this plan is completely useless for any modern smart phone unless you live WiFi to WiFi. I use way more than that a week.
Right, I just meant if you use 667, then no more data... Or possibly insane 5c/MB or worse charges on top.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I still think that it means the maximum charge is capped, not the maximum usage.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2016, 09:43:23 PM
I still think that it means the maximum charge is capped, not the maximum usage.

If it was only a max charge why mention the amount of data at all.