Plex launches free (ad supported) Video on Demand content

Started by Lazybones, December 04, 2019, 09:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/blog/boom-we-just-dinosized-your-movie-collection-for-free/

The interesting thing here is that plex has a very wide install base AND apparently their content deal is largely region free so they actually launched the library globally unlike netflix etc.

Edit: reports of the content being region free is apparently not true.

Melbosa

Nice, too bad that the content for Canada is very limited.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

That's an interesting idea, certainly they have a large install base like you say so it kinda makes sense. Now if they can get enough content to make it a viable platform then we'd be talking

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on December 04, 2019, 10:35:52 AMNice, too bad that the content for Canada is very limited.

On my Roku box, my brother was watching this week -- and seems to be mostly "C-Lister" movies like this crap:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Night+of+the+Running+Man

And every 10 minutes there would be three 30-second ads -- even if the character was right in the middle of speaking some terrible dialog.

It's like Crackle, but with even older content! :-)

... weird that when I clicked the OP link, that showed a lot of more recent stuff and not as low quality. Maybe that's in the medium/long term plans. But AFAIK the selection right now is... well, some of it seemed kinda fitting for Best Of The Worst etc.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 10, 2019, 05:23:54 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on December 04, 2019, 10:35:52 AMNice, too bad that the content for Canada is very limited.

On my Roku box, my brother was watching this week -- and seems to be mostly "C-Lister" movies like this crap:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Night+of+the+Running+Man

And every 10 minutes there would be three 30-second ads -- even if the character was right in the middle of speaking some terrible dialog.

It's like Crackle, but with even older content! :-)

... weird that when I clicked the OP link, that showed a lot of more recent stuff and not as low quality. Maybe that's in the medium/long term plans. But AFAIK the selection right now is... well, some of it seemed kinda fitting for Best Of The Worst etc.

I read through the support comments on Plex's website and the content is region locked based on providers.  So while Plex hosts the content, the source determines where the content can show.  If you use a VPN you may see different results if you connect from a US source.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 10, 2019, 05:23:54 PMAnd every 10 minutes there would be three 30-second ads -- even if the character was right in the middle of speaking some terrible dialog.

That right there will stop me from using it.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful