Streaming's Gonna Kick MP3 Butt

Started by Darren Dirt, December 21, 2019, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"I know everyone thinks MP3 downloads are the coolest thing since disco biscuits but save your money - don't buy one of those waaay over-priced Rio MP3 players.

MP3 will soon be dead anyway - replaced by streaming."

- June 21 2000

As quoted in this 2006 article:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061231003519/http://webdevelopersjournal.com/columns/streamings_cool.html

"
Just compare the pluses and minuses for downloading music vs. streaming music.

To enjoy MP3s you have to go to a site, find the music you want, start the download, wait until it's finished, move the file to your MP3 player or burn a CD and copy it to your other computers or wherever you think you're going to play it from. Then you can listen - after quite a bit of work. Soon the record companies are going to make you pay for any MP3 downloads that are any good, so what's the big deal?

All this downloading and CD burning stuff is too much hassle. With streaming all you have to do is find the music and click. It starts playing almost instantly.
"

me:
And to think that was written coming up 20 years ago (the quote, while the article is 14 years ago) ... and it certainly was obviously applicable to music even back then. Hard to believe it's only the last 2 or 3 years that VIDEO entertainment producers have realized the same lesson.

The down side is, when you "unplug" from the streaming services you've got "nothing to show for it".
There's something about having possession of the full discs for a TV series that I paid for, that has all the extras, that is a snapshot of the time it was produced.

/End Of Introspective Reminiscing And Considering What's Ahead, idk how I even "rediscovered" this article...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Despite everything you can't beat physical media

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have never been a fan of collecting physical media due to the space. I have been ripping music to digital almost since it was possible.

Since getting Spotify Family I hardly listen to my personal collection. Spotify has nearly every song on demand and allows for offline play.

I still like having my local copy to fall back to but I am more than satisfied with streaming. 

Mr. Analog

Physical media takes up space but it's still worth it at least for CD vs MP3 / stream

That said a big part of my collection is digital now, especially movies and TV. Streaming is such a fickle mistress though, when it unplugs we all lose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

That is why I do both but streaming actually wins for content and convenience now.

Darren Dirt

You are all correct!

[Hugs everybody in Christmasese]

Strive for progress. Not perfection.