Main Menu

Space Sim?

Started by Shayne, March 22, 2005, 02:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

What happened to them?  I hear X2 isnt bad, but its slow and sorta amaturish.

I'd love a Freespace 3 :(

Melbosa

Freelancer wasn't that bad either.  But yeah most are pretty much dead.  Closest thing recently would be Galatic Civilizations but that's an Strategy game.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Ustauk

Unfortunatley, I have to agree with Mel, the genre is currently dead.  The last space sim released for the PC was Space Interceptor, and that was more of an arcadey, mouse based game. The market just shrank, or at least became a smaller percentage of the overall gaming market, so it went by the wayside.  If you're a Freespace 2 fan, they released the source for that game a while back, and several mods are on the go for it, including a Babylon 5 mod.

Shayne

...not a fan of the MOD scene.  Lots of incomplete unfinished dreams (save a few).

I'd love to have another epic campeign in the Freespace universe.  I remember the first time i had a close encounter with the "Lucifer".  I just stared at it in awe (this was like in 1997), and even now i wish i could be given the same feeling again.

Oh well, it truely is a shame, if you take an engine like that seen in Nexus, wrap around a compelling story, a good flight model, and include a co-op system i think you could sell a few.

But noooooooooooooooo.  Instead we get a Mortyr 2 (who even played the first??!?!?!!).

Mr. Analog

I really miss Tie Fighter, I would love to see a tweaked version of it (no tinkering with the story or mechanics please!), that was one of my favourite games.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I really miss Tie Fighter, I would love to see a tweaked version of it (no tinkering with the story or mechanics please!), that was one of my favourite games.
Yer Shadowforce site (I presume it's your new supergroup?) has inspired me to Get Back Into The Action Happening In Paragon, however just a warning the links for each of the Heroic Members only points to { A href="about:blank" } :( not sure what's up with that...

I'll phone ya when I'm reinstalled etc. possibly before the weekend :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Thanks buddy, the site is still under construction (which is why I haven't submitted it to NCSoft for their official list).
By Grabthar's Hammer