Serenity - Firefly Movie

Started by Ustauk, September 29, 2005, 09:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ustauk

Just a reminder to the non-Edmonton members of the forum : if you enjoyed the cancelled series Firefly, the motion picture continuation of that story, called Serenity, will be coming out Friday in theatres.  Edmonton members of the board who are fans have already discussed going in that usergroup.

Darren Dirt

PS: early reviews are sorta in, be careful SPOILERs are prolly everywhere... But overall in summary looks like fans and n00bs alike are pleased:

http://www.google.com/movies/reviews?cid=bf2c60bd2cd44ea9&client=movies

Keep in mind a lot of the reviews won't be included in the "totals" until the weekend is done (slowpokes, thankfully)

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/serenity (74, users=9.5/10)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/ (83%, 80 reviews)

It seems 2 common words/phrases are used: "Space Opera" and "Smart" :D

PS: anyone else see the new heavily-worded ad copy? It basically says something like:

"5 months ago, people travelled hundreds of miles and lined up for many hours to see a preview screening of Serenity. Now come see for yourself, be a part of a new chapter in Sci Fi history"... or something like that  8)

- - -

Again, for those not familiar, follow the links on this page:

http://serenitymovie.com/nonflash_site/notes.html

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

GO SEE THIS GORRAM MOVIE!

Seriously, the intro for it explains the back story and characters BEAUTIFULLY (for those not familiar, yet isn't boring at all for Browncoats), the action is amazing, there's still no sound in space (except when they're in the atmo), the writing is tight and stays true to the series, the dialogue is in character and LOL funny many times, and overall it is even just simply entertaining filmmaking enjoyable for n00bs and perhaps even the Alliance faithful. 8)  <-- hint, hint, certain people ;)

An unbelievably fun ride, it starts at the word "Go" and a countless number of surprising plot turns later, you're still left with a few surprises even for those who know what Joss has done in his 3 TV series.

Stop reading this now and go help the opening box office. Seriously, go see it. Now. Today. :)

---PS: IMDB #148 already, 73% gave it 10/10: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/ratings ---

Melbosa

Agreed a worth while purchase of a movie ticket.  Good finish to the TV Series, but also an excellent representation of a stand-alone movie as well.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Ustauk

I loved it, great movie by itself, and a great capper to the series.  Good pacing, good writing, and good chemistry between the cast.  I think I'll try and see it one more time before it leaves theatres.

Lazybones

Good movie, will cap the series or renew interest in it..

Darren Dirt

WARNING: do not do any looking online for reviews; chances are they will either

1) mess up a summary of things, like calling Anara "Mal's ex-girlfriend", or refer to the current situation as "rebels at war against the Alliance", or

(EVEN WORSE)

2) give away SPOILER info that will TOTALLY ruin the film for you. The tension in the movie was perfect; and if you knew certain key plot points, you would not be emotionally manipulated nearly as effectively as Joss would like you to be :D

There are 2 threads on IMDB that are huge, very long, and both essentially debate whether or not it was the "right choice" for certain things to take place. Great reading, AFTER watching the movie. I should really go to bed right now, but I am so pleased with how the film turned out, I am now enjoying the Interweb's social aspect, as all these various viewpoints get tossed around...  8)

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Aw man, this doesn't even deserve a reply.

Oh, wait...  :roll:

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"Aw man, this doesn't even deserve a reply.

Oh, wait...  :roll:
See how Firefly destroys your brain? Worse than a million games of pinball!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

No no no -- my point is that by saying no reply was necessary I ended up replying. A joke, I guess. I was gonna respond to "Federation" -- I mean (as Rob Corrdy would say), COME ON! Yeesh.

Oh wait, I did it again. I'm encouraging you. BTW, bud, Mr. A, um, sorry you're to see you're in such a Negative Nelly mood, wha happen', did you inadvertently eat some of Spongebob's Crabby Patties or something? :S

Anyway, enough of this, I gotta go to work... for the "Alliance" ironically enough  :roll:

Mr. Analog

I'm the "Squidward" of the boards now am I...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

The "Space" Channel's 4th annual "Spacey" awards show just ended.

The Wikipedia entry will be created soon by someone who isn't too lazy to create an account ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Spacey_Awards

It will read something like this:

The 4th Spacey Awards were presented on May 39, 2006 by the Canadian television channel Space: The Imagination Station.

blah blah

stuff nobody cares about

Viewers Choice Awards
Favourite Movie
Winner: SERENITY! WOOHOO! YOU'RE GORRAMN RIGHT!

Keep flyin', Browncoats... ;D :D 8) :D

Mr. Analog

Y'know, Beanie Babies and My Little Pony are popular too...

tee hee hee...

So what were the other winners?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 30, 2006, 09:43:49 PM
Y'know, Beanie Babies and My Little Pony are popular too...

tee hee hee...

So what were the other winners?

Meh, can't really remember (read: didn't care all that much) but I think Darth Vader won a couplatimes (he intimidated the competition). And sadly, David Hewlitt was robbed of a deserving win. :o ;)