Main Menu

Job Posting

Started by Melbosa, December 15, 2005, 04:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Yep NAIT is again looking for Technical peeps.  Check it out here:

NAIT Job Postings
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Cova

Melbosa - yer supposed to be applying to that one.  Of course - anyone else can apply too.  Whoever gets it is gonna end up working with me a lot.

Lazybones

I'm tempted... Such a pain switching jobs though.. I sort of like where I am, but it's hard to ignore the posted wage/benefits.

Melbosa

Quote from: "Cova"Melbosa - yer supposed to be applying to that one.  Of course - anyone else can apply too.  Whoever gets it is gonna end up working with me a lot.

Done that already, but never hold back for anyone else to have their chance.

And as Cova said, there is that down fall to the job, having to work closely with him :P.

Cova

Quote from: "Melbosa"And as Cova said, there is that down fall to the job, having to work closely with him :P.

Hehe - some lucky guy gets to be my new slave, so I have more time to post on the forums here during work hours.

Thorin

Quote from: "Lazybones"I'm tempted... Such a pain switching jobs though.. I sort of like where I am, but it's hard to ignore the posted wage/benefits.

Hmm, I thought our benefits are better-than-average.  As far as wage, if you're unhappy with your wage start asking around what to do about that.  If you get stonewalled, then consider switching jobs.  But if you like the company and the people, at least mention the fact that you're interested in a raise.

Plus, $1,947.54 to $2,580.06 bi-weekly.  Is that not the range you're in already?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: "Thorin"
Quote from: "Lazybones"I'm tempted... Such a pain switching jobs though.. I sort of like where I am, but it's hard to ignore the posted wage/benefits.

Hmm, I thought our benefits are better-than-average.  As far as wage, if you're unhappy with your wage start asking around what to do about that.  If you get stonewalled, then consider switching jobs.  But if you like the company and the people, at least mention the fact that you're interested in a raise.

Plus, $1,947.54 to $2,580.06 bi-weekly.  Is that not the range you're in already?

Sadly, No, and it was worse before that.. Hence I didn't have the confidence to ask for even more.. Salary review is this month, taking effect January..

Cova

Benefits at NAIT are actually quite good.  Besides the medical coverage and all that stuff that people normally think of as job benefits, we also get free access to almost all of NAIT's resources. eg. free access to the pool, gym, workout equipment, library (which also gets you free access to edmonton public libraries, U of A library, etc.).  If you can convince your boss that it's work related, you can take any course at NAIT for free (you must buy the books/materials still, and you only get in if there's space left after all paying students are in) - if it's very work related you can probably even take it during the day and get the time free off work.

Downside is, being partly government funded the pay isn't quite as high as private industry.  For a new employee in that posistion, you'd start at the $1947 bi-weekly (which would be lvl 18 step 1) and every year you'd get a raise so that after 7 years you'd cap out at $2580 - lvl 18 step 7.  Of course, in 7 years that number will be higher because the entire chart changes every year a small amount for inflation.  You can also be promoted up a lvl, which will result in dropping as many steps as possible without taking a pay cut - effectively promotions give you more room for growth, not instant pay raise.  I also like to yell "DING" when I go up a lvl,  but most of the other guys don't get it.

Thorin

Quote from: "Cova"Downside is, being partly government funded the pay isn't quite as high as private industry.

Umm...  And here Lazy was complaining that his private-industry-job isn't paying nearly as much as the minimum NAIT pays...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Cova

Quote from: "Thorin"Umm...  And here Lazy was complaining that his private-industry-job isn't paying nearly as much as the minimum NAIT pays...

When the tech industry is slow (as it is now, though it's getting better), NAIT pay stay's constant and so we do fairly well.  When the tech industry booms (as it did when I started at NAIT just before Y2K, and then the .com boom) our pay still stays constant, and we bitch a lot.  For a while when the industry was really going well we got a bonus ... I forget what it was called, but a small bonus on every paycheque that was supposed to bring us up to the industry average (and stop all the good people leaving) - it was partially successful at both, we were still below average, and a lot of good people still left.

However since those days back then, the average level of ISD has gone up a level or two.  I started at lvl 16 back then, now the entire tech-team is 18+ - even the new positions are starting at 18, and we have a lot of 19s.

Melbosa

Well looks like I got this job.  Sorry to anyone here who applied for it.  It's not going to be all that fun, as I have to work under Cova's lead at times, which will require all my will power and ability, but I think I can do it :P.

4 tries for that team, thought I was screwed after the 3rd try (3 strikes your out idea).  4th paid off.

Cova

Jack just told me a bit ago that you'll be getting the cube next to me (not bad as cube's go, I'm the only person in ISD that walks past your entrance to get to my desk - no-one goes behind me, victor takes the other way around).  Any idea what the start-date is?

Melbosa

Will be up there Wednesday if Jack agrees to the schedule.  Will be 2 days in DRM, 3 in TT till end of March roughly, then 1 day DRM, 4 days TT till August, then should be full TT.  Fun fun.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Cova

I think Jack already has agree'd to the schedule - when he was talking to me earlier he told me the same thing about your time-split.  Judy was cleaning up the cube a bit earlier today, getting it ready.