Where are Wii

Started by Lazybones, November 20, 2006, 08:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 21, 2006, 01:11:06 PM
QuoteThe unit comes with EVERYTHING short of an SDcard to store saves..
It comes with 512MB built in NAND flash. If you don't care about tranfering your saves, just make do ;) Though you can transfer saved back and forth from the internal and external flash.

Yaay!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 21, 2006, 01:11:06 PM
QuoteThe unit comes with EVERYTHING short of an SDcard to store saves..
It comes with 512MB built in NAND flash. If you don't care about tranfering your saves, just make do ;) Though you can transfer saved back and forth from the internal and external flash.

I wasn't sure if that could be used for game saves, haven't read the manual yet. Will play MP3s and show Photos from the SDCard I hear.

Tom

I'm 99% sure the internal flash is used for saves, and other misc data. But the SD support is cool. Though getting that "SD" logo aint cheap. Just like with the DVD logo. Too bad they couldn't just skip the logo ;) like cheap taiwan sd reader knockoffs.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

So, if you can put save games on the SD, would this open the market to a save game website?  I hope they at least encrypt the save to the machine for those type of saves that could be hazardess online

Tom

The saves are probably tied to your Mii and/or your "user id" (cant recall its real title...). Someone WILL hack them, its just a matter of time. And the reason you can put them on the sd card, is so you can bring them to a friends house :P
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Shayne

I'm aware of why you would want them on a portable device :P  The Mii profile is probably the best way to do the encryption system.  I recall when the original Xbox was so easily hacked saved games were very easy to find, but if you wanted to take say a hacked Forza saved game online it wouldn't work.  Keeps the playing field even.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 21, 2006, 01:07:48 PM
Now the hunt is on for a second WiiMote and Nunchuck.

P.S. The Wii mote is FREAKING SMALL and LITE! It doesn't have much mass even with some batteries in it.. You would have to be pitching REALLY REALLY hard to do the damage in thouse pictures, but I could see some over zelus players doing it.

Keep an eye out for those games that come with a Wiimote... I believe Wii Play (which I mentioned above0 includes a Wiimote (but no Nunchuk) since they know that will be a 4-player partygame type of thing...

And re. the size, when you see how the Wiimote looks in photos next to the console itself, wow -- I was trying to tell my son, best way to describe the box is "imagine the Gamecube a little wider, and a little longer, and above 1/3 the thickness. Or basically 3-4 DVD cases piled on top of each other." Pretty accurate? ;D

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tonnica

Quote from: Shayne on November 21, 2006, 01:27:56 PMSo, if you can put save games on the SD, would this open the market to a save game website?  I hope they at least encrypt the save to the machine for those type of saves that could be hazardess online

If the save games are unencrypted, I can see the GameFAQs Save Game pages becoming very, VERY popular in the future.

I'm interested to see if the virtual console ever implements the "gameplay movie playback" ability that some emulators have right now. Then you could replay proof of awesome game wins. Probably not, but time will tell.

Shayne

Quote from: Tonnica on November 21, 2006, 02:11:13 PMIf the save games are unencrypted, I can see the GameFAQs Save Game pages becoming very, VERY popular in the future.

As will cheating in online play.  I would bet that the normal saves are all able to be used by anyone, I doubt the online profile version are.

Lazybones

30 Zelda landed at Futureshop Downtown today, in case someone is looking.

Still can't find controllers but FS has 20 of them on the way, should arrive with in a week.

Thorin

So...  We're now in the market to get a Wii.  If anyone sees any at a store, please post so I can rush over :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Will do... I am still on the look out for controlers.

Tonnica

Thorin just got a Wii - there was a surprise shipment of 15 Wii that just came in this morning at the Edmonton Downtown EB Games. Once I found out we booked it down there and it was WII GET! time.

Unfortunately there are no accessories at that EB Games. Currently the North Futureshop shows like it might have accessories (via website availability check) but I've still gotta call to confirm.

CowGirl

Woohooo!!  Thank you all!
i aM A NoBoDy, NoBoDy iS PeRfEcT, tHeReFoRe, I'M PeRfEcT!

Thorin

Thank you Tonnica for finding out and telling me about that surprise shipment!  I'll keep a lookout for the USB dongle you're looking for (to provide a wireless connection for your Wii without getting a wireless router) whenever I happen to be in a technology store like Futureshop, Best Buy, etc.

I owe you one!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful