R.I.P. Syd Barrett

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Bixby on January 20, 2007, 08:25:02 AM
It's all about the finer things in life. :D

R.I.P. Syd Barrett

That's for damn sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Always been a big FLoyd fan, since age 11. I have most material by the band and the various solo projects. I am searching right now for Nick Mason's "Ficticious Sports" CD. Trouble is it is selling for $101.00USD on AMazon, so I will keep looking. The box set of Barrett's is fun listening. :)

Darren Dirt

Sid who?

Wasn't he the drummer for the Sex Pistols?

;D

j/k of course. Seriously. Call of the hounds. ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Bixby

Too funny.

I don't think Syd was very vicious, quite insane, but not too vicious. :D

Shayne

Since this is getting wildly off-topic let me join in (maybe a mod will split this topic *wink*).

As a massive music lover and downloader (I listen to music 12+ hours a day while I work), i have a collection of MP3s totaling 1638 albums, 22,860 individual tracks with a pretty common theme, much variance within the genres that I enjoy put pretty narrow regardless (no bubble gum pop, no country, very little rap, death metal is a no go, etc).

Anywho, what is so darn great about Pink Floyd?  I fail to see their brilliance, and honestly much like ACDC, Kiss, David Bowie, etc, I just don't think they have stood the test of time.  I'm going to take this further and say that very little music stands the test of time unless you really enjoy and era and stick with it.  Bands that I listened too 10 years ago doesn't even make my playlist these days as my tastes have evolved with the industry.  As new acts show new styles that I enjoy I jump on the wagon and ride it.  Don't get me wrong here, I'm not talking top 40 type music (no Spears, no Timberlake, etc), I follow the indie scene pretty good.

Their are a few gems by different artists that I consider masterpieces, but I don't think that everything an artist did was revolutionary and that we should all stop and be in awe of their greatness.  Dark Side Of The Moon was a decent album, but better and more revolutionary then say Ten by Pearl Jam I simply cannot agree with that (i know that somewhere Roger Waters just spun in his grave).

Mr. Analog

Yeah, you know, everyone has their own personal taste. If you don't like something that's great for you, you know what you don't like. But everyone is going to have an opinion about what they like or don't like but I don't think anyone has to be called to justify why they like what they do.

If you think the topic should be split into a Pink Floyd appreciation thread I might do that if I thought the conversation was going anywhere other than a virtual "high five", but I can remind you that if you know there is nothing of interest for you here in this thread then you don't have to read it.

Incidentally, Roger Waters is still alive (maybe you meant Syd Barret).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Uh there was, hence my post.

I would at least like to know why to maybe see if there is something I miss.  You know without that why do we even have posts on this forum at all?  We discuss games, movies, videos, news, etc and everyone is a a back and forth with opinions on both sides and yet this topic you jump on me saying that i don't gotta justify anything.  Whatever dude.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on January 22, 2007, 09:03:15 AM
Uh there was, hence my post.

I would at least like to know why to maybe see if there is something I miss.  You know without that why do we even have posts on this forum at all?  We discuss games, movies, videos, news, etc and everyone is a a back and forth with opinions on both sides and yet this topic you jump on me saying that i don't gotta justify anything.  Whatever dude.

I agree with you, a forum is a great place to discuss topics. Now, you and I have had some miscommunication problems in the past and I'll show you what exactly set me off:

QuoteAs a massive music lover and downloaderi

Anywho, what is so darn great about Pink FloydiiI fail to see their brillianceiii, and honestly much like ACDC, Kiss, David Bowie, etc, I just don't think they have stood the test of timeiv.

i. Ok, here you define yourself as a music lover
ii. I read this and thought, ok everyone has their right to an opinion but immediately I'm thinking that you think they are overrated
iii. Again, this statement reinforces the idea found in ii and the role you present to us in i
iv. You say here that they lack relevance and infer that because of this they are inferior

Now, I don't want to say troll here, but you already know at least two posters here are Floyd fans and you make a statement which, to me, boiled down to "in my learned opinion; Floyd sucks, why would anyone like it?". I see what you are asking now but, the way you word things a lot of the time is very confrontational when it could be supportive and positive.

You could have said something like "You guys really like Pink Floyd, what is it you like the most or keeps you coming back" which is saying that you understand that we are Floyd fans and it asks the question you seem to really be after (which is "why do you like it"). I'll answer that if I feel I'm not on trial, defending what I love. There's a big difference between sharing and defending.

I mean, if I had a thread where I literally said "Why would anyone waste the money and effort to buy an HDTV?", you better believe I'd have a few posters on my ass faster than Oprah on a Ham because I know there are a lot of you who are really into the HD scene.

Get what I'm saying?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Bixby

Sorry to spin something off topic in the thread guys. Still new so I am likely to breach forum protocol. Crank me a msg if I embark on an unwelcome tangent.

That said... :)

Shayne:
Nice to meet another music buff. I run a music server at home with about 20,000 MP3s. These are largely off my personal CD collection with some interesting MP3s from garageband sites and burgeoning bands. My xBox360 is mostly on to stream music from my music server. I loves me tunes. My tastes cover quite a broad range and although I do not possess any great musical talent of my own, I sure have come to appreciate some musical geniuses in my collection.

To address your query about Pink Floyd, I do not develop a loyalty to an artist or band for the sake of being loyal, I need to be able to enjoy their work or I simply don't listen to it. Roger Waters is quite a lyricist, his writing is poignant and socially contemplative. I think he has maintained his issues surrounding his father's death and it comes out in his lyrics. They are generally dark but always well written. I invite you to truly "listen" to the words of some of the floyd albums, not just the mainstream ones. David Gilmour is to the Guitar what Roger Waters is to Lyrics. Gilmour has a very lazy haunting guitar style that is revered in musical circles abroad, he posseses a great talent for innovative guitar styles. I have listened to him partner with Liona Boyd and Alan Parsons on some very interesting projects. Dark Side of the Moon is probably the hallmark Rock Album of all time. It utilized very advanced production techniques by none other than the at-the-time-undiscovered-and not-fully-developed Alan Parsons. Not only that, I believe the album was on teh Billboard Top 100 albums for over 25 years. That is quiet an accomplishment.  

As for my musical tastes, I started listening to Pink Floyd at 11 years of age, I am happy to report that 31 years later I am still listening to music I listened to as a kid. I never did go through a pop phase. The only songs that have dropped from my collection are songs that were fun novelty songs. Novelty songs, by their definition, tend to be a candle that burns brightly, but shortly. In my forties I am still listening to Uriah Heep, Mike Oldfield, Alice Cooper, Rush, Alan Parsons, Kraftwerk, and many more. If anything, I keep adding music I like to my collection and it is quite rare I remove something.

All that said, I respect you musical choices and your right to your musical "blindspots". ;)

Curious. You have so many MP3's, you have probably addressed the whole mass-editing problem for ID3 tags. I am soon going to clean up all my tags and I would like to know if you recommed any mass-editor over another. *** admins: if this should be in another thread, let me know, some forums frown on many threads and like teh tangents of conversation in a thread, others are more firm about thread content. Let me know. ***

Mr.Analog:
No harm done, I do not mind the debate / discussion. I am quite resilient. :)

Shayne

Mr. Analog

Never once did I say they suck, so stop putting words in my mouth.  Thanks.  I said that I fail to see their brilliance, they are one of many bands that get a place on an invisible pedestal of infallible status.  The Beetles and Elvis come to mind as other examples.  You then failed to acknowledge my acknowledgment of a decent Pink Floyd album.  I am well aware of their being fans here on the forums, hence my post asking why they are so marvelous.

Text on forums makes it hard to interpret tone.  A source of many arguments where sarcasm is used and not realized (a real slick digg article from yesterday about how to be a web designer comes to mind).  I was not at all being confrontational more of query.  Had I used the Doors (can anyone really defend their overratedness?) I'm sure the offense would not have been so large.

Bixby

My blindsports are more of a way to avoid mass marketed and machined music.  When quotes from people like Britney Spears come out "Im running out of money we should make another album" (paraphrased) and an army of song writers is mobilized I just can't get behind that.  50 Cent get shot 19 times and becomes a rap icon.  Eminem bashes gay people and Moby and is a hero.  Madonna...i wont even go here.

I have respect for the starving musician.  I buy an album a week normally, but I will admit to downloading 5+ in the same timeframe.  I won't defend my downloading, I am well aware that it does take money out of the pockets of the artists, etc.  I do attend many more concerts and that money I know goes more the author and less to the RIAA.

I didn't grow up in the 70s/80s heck even early 90s as far as music goes.  It was more background noise. When I got into music I had a pretty large taste, but it narrowed into what I truly enjoy.  If you expand that same sort of genre to other countries on other continents before you know it their is just far to much to listen too.

As for Dark Side being such a production masterpiece with that I can agree.   The battle that the Beatles had with the Beach Boys (Sgt. Peppers vs. Pet Sounds) really shaped the industry as well.

As for mass mp3tag fixing.  Druid and I swear by mp3tag http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on January 22, 2007, 01:16:35 PM
Mr. Analog

Never once did I say they suck, so stop putting words in my mouth.  Thanks.  I said that I fail to see their brilliance, they are one of many bands that get a place on an invisible pedestal of infallible status.  The Beetles and Elvis come to mind as other examples.  You then failed to acknowledge my acknowledgment of a decent Pink Floyd album.  I am well aware of their being fans here on the forums, hence my post asking why they are so marvelous.

Text on forums makes it hard to interpret tone.  A source of many arguments where sarcasm is used and not realized (a real slick digg article from yesterday about how to be a web designer comes to mind).  I was not at all being confrontational more of query.  Had I used the Doors (can anyone really defend their overratedness?) I'm sure the offense would not have been so large.

Shayne

I never said that was what you literally wrote, it's how I interpreted what you said. I was explaining to you that when I read your post that's what I took it to mean.

Quote-what is so darn great about Pink Floyd
-I fail to see their [Pink Floyd's] brilliance
-I just don't think they [Pink Floyd] have stood the test of time
-Dark Side Of The Moon was a decent album, but better and more revolutionary then say Ten by Pearl Jam I simply cannot agree with that
Negative, negative, negative, negative. I see you providing no positives in any of those statements. None. So forgive me if I thought you didn't like Pink Floyd in a more than passive manner.

If you were being sarcastic I don't see the mocking irony anywhere in there.

At any rate, I love Pink Floyd because of three things mostly:

• The grandiose, almost orchestral sounds on most albums after and including Echoes
  • The poetic language in most of the songs blend identifiable imagery, dark humour and a full range of emotions
  • The connection to my dad, his past life and the connection we share with the music

I like a wide variety of music and I'm constatnly listening to CKUA-FM, CBC Radio 2, Sonic, Pandora and of course my own collection. I mostly buy my own CDs and then rip them but there are a few that I download if I can't find them or if I only like a few songs. I find I go through musical moods, for a couple of weeks I'll listen to classical and other ancient music and then I'll switch to hard or progressive rock and then go anywhere from jazz to punk to heavy metal. I really enjoy the music I already own and I will go over albums again and again listening to all the subtleties.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Just to lighten things up a bit, and give you a common person to snipe at....Nickelback Rocks!!!!!!!!! >:D
Runs screaming for the hills before the musical purists behead him

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Ustauk on January 22, 2007, 02:17:24 PM
Just to lighten things up a bit, and give you a common person to snipe at....Nickelback Rocks!!!!!!!!! >:D

Ok, why do they rock?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Ustauk

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 22, 2007, 02:28:02 PM

Ok, why do they rock?
Peaks over the hill when know arrows fly past his head
Umm, because there song are fun to listen and ,dare I say, car-karaoke to?  I'm afraid my musical tastes aren't that, errr, deep :)

Shayne

Ustauk, I think you meant to say "Theory of a Nickelfault" ;)

Bixby

Ha ha ha - Nice diffuser of situations you are ;)

Ustauk

Quote from: Shayne on January 22, 2007, 02:56:52 PM
LOL, I like Theory of a Dead Man and Default as well.  Default had a great show at the Captial Ex this year :)

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on January 22, 2007, 02:56:52 PM

You missed Creed in there... however I am guilty of owning one of their albums.

Shayne

Theory of a Nickelfault works so well as they are all "discovered" by Nickleback.

Shayne

"My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade" is my pick for album of the year.  A hell of a lot of good stuff came out this year, but this concept album is extremely diverse without a single negative attribute.  They can easily pull 6 singles from this album and they would have just as much power as the very first.

My let down of the year is probably "Three Days Grace - One X", I like to say that I discovered these guys in a way.  I saw them at some @%&#ty bar ever so long ago.  The first disc filled the void that very slow Finger Eleven releases left me with.  However this new one just doesn't have the same bite.  Feels uninspired.

My surprise pick for the year "Snow Patrol - Eyes Open", I have been listening to Snow Patrol since early 2000 when i stumbled upon the great disc "Songs for Polarbears" on one of the Indie forums I use to participate on.  With the 2 singles "Hands Open" and "Chasing Cars" lighting up the airwaves its good to see success for them.  One of my favorite bands.

Adams

Shayne:
Dare I say... you dust off Huey Lewis and the News?... but do not post tribute to the band that probably started the indie scene that you speak so fondly of... I digress. *Runs off to a nice corner to be flogged*

On another topic:
Speaking of which... I still love to listen to the headstones and tragically hip. :P

Oh boy... oops I hope I didn't restart the issue... that Ustauk so kindfully resolved. (I still Love Nickelback and Theory of a Nickelback... and Default-Nickelback and... and... and.. Justin Timberlake?... uh I mean... no no Timberlake)
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Shayne The Great on January 22, 2007, 05:49:12 PM
"My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade" is my pick for album of the year.  A hell of a lot of good stuff came out this year, but this concept album is extremely diverse without a single negative attribute.  They can easily pull 6 singles from this album and they would have just as much power as the very first.

Since I hear it almost every morning with Garner I did a look up on the lyrics and then read the Wikipedia page about the album... Impressed me enough that I went to Amazon and did the 30 second preview thing. $12.99 at HMV, gonna pick it up this week prolly -- perhaps also with "Trainwreck" by "Boys Night Out", both concept albums, both a bit on the "dark" side... That plus SRV = draw your own conclusions about how my new year is going ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.